Questions | Teen Ink

Questions

April 30, 2011
By teenadele BRONZE, London, Other
teenadele BRONZE, London, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Question!

What are your plans for the future? What do you want to be? Your 13 surely you must know? Your 14 hurry up ! Maybe a doctor? Nurse? Midwife? Lawyer? Solicitor?

Decisions decisions decisions ! The saying goes : life is too short, but its not that short! Why does it seem like everyone is pressurising us young teens to know what path we want to take in life. Sure some people know that they want to be doctors from 5 years old but we are not all the same. Some of us need time we need to explore, to find out what else is out there in the world to do apart the cliché jobs that spring into mind. Some parents just don’t understand that stinging our tails will do more harm than good; Force us into taking the wrong path, choosing something that we quite simply aren’t smart enough to do. Its part of the reason why so many students drop out in college and university when they find out the course they’re studying is far from what they expected.

Have you ever found that when you’ve come close to making your vital decision all people want to do is crush you making sure your left with no hope not even an ounce of fairy dust. I don’t know about you but I am certainly not prepared to give in to what other people want. Its my life. I am the one who will go to college and university to spend 5-10 years studying the whatever profession it is and I am the one who for the rest of my life up until old age will wake each morning to go into to work! I want to have a smile on my face every time I wake up knowing that I am doing what I love and please correct me if I‘m wrong but isn‘t that what you want? surely.

So I want to give a word of advice to you parents out there … back off ! And let us grow up slowly and make you proud.

The author's comments:
I've been have a war battle with my dad about what it is I want to be in future so I decided to let my anger out in a subtle way (i hope).