Life's Only Worth Living if You Live it | Teen Ink

Life's Only Worth Living if You Live it

70, 80 years, that’s approximately all the time that we have to live. It sounds like it’s a long time now; after all we’re only teenagers. But we’re not going to be young forever. Death is a lot closer than we imagine and it’s not going away. We don’t realize, but we are wasting our only time we have on this earth away. Who cares what happen on GLEE yesterday, how ugly that shirt looks on her or even (gasp) Justin Bieber’s new hair cut? Think about the most interesting thing that has happened to you while watching GLEE, Twilight or Justin Bieber. Now think about the most interesting thing that you have ever done. Bet it wasn’t in front of your TV or computer. We are all going to be 60 and realize that we have not done anything worth telling our grandchildren.

Why are we not out bungee-jumping, horseback riding or even going for a walk? Are we trying to shelter our self’s from rejection, failure, disappointment or the many other sorrows of life? While there can’t be good without bad, light without dark or birth without death, so why should there be joy without grief. Maybe your terrified of heights, there’s nothing wrong with that, but that is what courage is. How do you know you don’t have untapped potential as a basketball player or artist if you’ve never tried. Wasted potential is amongst the most tragic things that exist in this world. Maybe it’s time to set outside your comfort zone and leaping into life.

Now that’s not saying all teenagers are wasting their lives in front of screen, in fact many are successful musicians, artists, athletes or even business people. There are teenagers all over the world who take advantage of ever minute they are given and these are the people we should all strive to be. No one wants to emit that they are letting life slip by, but if you are spending hours inside every week maybe it’ s time to rethink the way you live your life.

Easier said than done though, after all it is a complete life style change we are talking about. Luckily change doesn’t have to be done instantly. Maria Robinson said “nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending”. After all we are still young. Small changes like shortening your time spent on Facebook pick up a book rather than a remote control or even just go for a walk and watch what is happening all around you. Hopefully next time you come home from school exhausted, flop down on the couch and flick on the TV think about all the other things you could be doing.

This topic was inspired by a discussion in my english class about the poems "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" and "Ulysses".