Seize the Moment | Teen Ink

Seize the Moment

February 24, 2011
By Charlie Carpenter BRONZE, Bedford, New York
Charlie Carpenter BRONZE, Bedford, New York
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

“Chance favors only the prepared mind.” –Louis Pasteur.

Have you ever thought of the moment that just got away from you? Or the moment you think you could have preformed better, or done something that could have helped someone else or changed someone’s life? Moments like these pass every day. Whether it’s helping a friend with a project or making a commitment. These special moments can impact the rest of your life. The AT & T commercial that shows says, “never miss a moment” this is when a boy gets tickets to a football game suddenly. When he goes to the game he receives a football and this is an opportunity, and later on he becomes a football player. I know that this is just a commercial trying to lure you in by saying they are faster than Verizon or another phone company. But, the message that they send out is to never let opportunities or moments slip away from you.
The moment when you regret something you think back on the exact moment. You don’t want to go through life with regrets about the past because than how can you advance into the future without thinking about those regrets. When you think back on your life do you want to remember the missed opportunities? Where maybe you could have done something great.

When you look ahead into the future you can ensure that something will happen only, if you set certain goals for yourself. If you obtain them you give yourself a higher probability of success. Chris Waddell, the amazing skier who tragically became parlayed seized the moments of his life after he was paralyzed by setting goals for himself. He seized the opportunity given to him when he became paralyzed by still making history by reaching the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Chris Waddell always says, “It’s not what happens to you, it’s what you do with what happens to you.” An article written on www.cbsnews.com by Karen Brown wrote, “I don't know if I have ever seen an athlete dig so deep and go so hard," Penney said of Waddell. "If Chris can do this, he is setting a new standard for anyone in a wheel chair." The opportunity set in front of Waddell was at first daunting, trying to become a parlayed climber and skier, but he seized the moment and decided to make history. The only way anybody can make history or achieve goals is by making sure they can do anything in their power to make it happen.

You have to seize the moments in your life to make things happen. That is why “Chance favors only the prepared mind.” –Louis Pasteur

Your actions right now even though you don’t know it, can impact the rest of your life. It can be by making a new friend, which could lead to endless possibilities. Or even just trying to talk to someone new or trying extra hard to get a good grade or have a great performance athletically.

“Life is not anything but an opportunity for something.”- Johnson Goethe. Take the opportunity and seize the moment.


The author's comments:
This piece convey a lesson that I try to follow every day.