Dear President Barack Obama | Teen Ink

Dear President Barack Obama

By Sophia17 SILVER, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Sophia17 SILVER, Williamsport, Pennsylvania

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi

Dear President Barack Obama,

Jimi Hendrix once said, “When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.” that’s what needs to happen in Darfur; we need to end the raping, torturing, and killing of the people in Darfur. We need to end the genocide that has been going on for 20 years and the genocide needs to end now.

Two million people have been killed, three million have been put into camps, and four million have been displaced. It’s a horrible thing that had been happening Darfur and we can stop it! Imagine little girls and teenagers being raped everyday; mothers being killed in front of their children! How has the world involved into this genocide and these wars? From the segregation era, Holocaust, and now this, it needs to stop here.

We need to do to what we did about segregation; we need to take a stand against it. For instance when we changed unjust laws for example Brown vs. Board of Education. We went against it and stopped it. We helped end the Holocaust; we stepped in and took a stand against what was happening in Europe in the 1940’s and fought against the killings and torturing. Now Europe citizens are free of that and now you can be what you believe, and be free to be who you are.

Some people may argue the United States is already involved in many other countries business; but there are innocent people being killed everyday just for being who they are. Since when has that been okay? These people are innocent; they have families and children just like you. Imagine going to bed wondering if it was going to be the last night you were going to see your family; to live in fear every second of the day. At this point I think we, as a country we need to forget worrying about if we are being nosy, this is a decision for life or death for these people. Remember you and I can help end this genocide once and for all.

Think of the power we have to stop this genocide. We need to overcome the love of power and save these peoples’ lives. I’ve seen these people and they are skinny as twigs and it hurts my heart to see these people suffer. Please help make Sudan come together and help Darfur.

Sincerely your number one supporter and fan,
SES