My Walden | Teen Ink

My Walden

January 26, 2011
By Alvin BRONZE, El Cajon, California
Alvin BRONZE, El Cajon, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Everybody has a certain place they can go or a certain thing they can do so they can relax and not feel so overwhelmed. I believe that it is important for everyone to have some relaxation time a couple hours every week. Having a place to go to calm down and gather your thoughts is a great way to be more successful in life while also eliminating stress and unnecessary worries. I believe that everyone should have something they enjoy that they can do to ultimately achieve this.

For me, that’s locking the door to my room, laying on my bed, and listening to my iPod. I enjoy shutting everything out for a little while and just listening to music sometimes because it calms and relaxes me in times of struggle and hardship. Whenever I feel overwhelmed with homework or responsibilities, I listen to slow, relaxing music for a little while and go back to work with a better and more refreshed approach. Whether I’m angry, frustrated, depressed or just bored, listening to the right music at the right time can help ease the emotions and put me in more of a relaxed state of mind. Sometimes I am lucky to fall asleep and just forget everything for an hour or two.

Sometimes when I can’t think straight for a long enough time to finish my homework, I listen to music in my room for a little while. That gives me the opportunity to clear my mind for about half an hour, so that I am able to go back to my work with a clear conscience. I believe that I am able to think better and more clearly when I take some time out to just relax. It is a somewhat magical experience because I am able to wipe away all my previous thoughts in such a simple way. Without music and some time to relax every now and then, I don’t believe that I would be able to be who I am today.