Body Art | Teen Ink

Body Art

By AlyssaRose GOLD, Jackson, New Jersey
AlyssaRose GOLD, Jackson, New Jersey

"You can't live your life for other people. You've got to do what's right for you, even if it hurts some people you love." - Nicholas Sparks

Body art can be classified as a significant yet graphic way of exemplifying ones emotions, style, or feelings by permanently marking their body. As many may find this action to be an inappropriate and immature decision for teenagers, I beg to differ. Though some tattoos, brands, or piercings may come off as too graphic or unnecessary to others, to the person it is their freedom to express themselves the way they chose and it is not up to anyone else but themselves to judge them upon that. Judgment is based solely upon opinion for something that is against one’s lifestyle or beliefs and since each person is not the same I do not agree with those belittling and against the body art of teenagers.

In order to get any form of body art, parental or guardian consent is required as to make sure the teenager is allowed to receive the art upon their body. By doing so the parents are content with the decision and are allowing their child to do so, therefore who is there to truly judge; no one. If a parent is against this action they simply do not grant the child the gift of consent and the action is ceased and no longer a consideration until the teenager reaches the age of 18 where the teenager legally has the right to their body.

In addition, the motivation behind most tattoos may be a resemblance for a loss loved one or as a reflection to an important event that the teenager finds worthy enough to print on themselves; that is their choice and they understand the consequences. Also, piercings, brands, and tattoos may also stem from the motivation to follow a crowd or live out a style they have a passion for; this is simply what growing up is all about and discovering who you truly are and I strongly feel it is not an adults position to alter the choices these teenagers make when it comes to body art and expressing the adult they are becoming.

All in all, the decision of body art is the teenagers’ choice and is only accepted with consent from a parent and if a parent is content with the decision then the choice is simple. Though some may discover regrets and hard feelings toward their decision, it is one of the many teenagers will face as they grow up and this is the time when teenagers discover their true selves. Though maybe some body art may come off more inappropriate then others, it is no one’s place to judge unless the body art is putting physical harm or offense upon another person. Expressing yourself is one of the strongest and most refreshing actions one may do in life and as we grow through teenage years it is our decision as to how we choose to express those feelings.

AlyssaRose GOLD, Jackson, New Jersey

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed my article and that you were able to relate to it so well (: Thank you!

AshTree SILVER said...
on Feb. 4 2011 at 9:56 am
AshTree SILVER, Clarksville, Tennessee

"Live your art" -made this one up myself. Simple, but true.

A couple years ago I wouldn't agree with you. I would have thought just like my mother, that tattoos are inappropriate for someone at a young age, even older. Now, as soon as I turn 18 I've decided to tattoo a buttefly on my wrist and dye my hair a deep red. My mother is restricting and I am a very artistic person. When I have children, I will allow them to express themselves as they like. I'm thinking of letting them draw on the walls in their bedroom, nowhere else of course.

But my point is... I agree. (: