Genocide in Darfur | Teen Ink

Genocide in Darfur

January 20, 2011
By alexis1997 BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
alexis1997 BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

January 20,2011
Dear President Barack Obama,

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter.” That line was quoted from Martin Luther King JR. We as Americans have changed unjust laws, mainly from the Brown vs. The board of Education. People in Darfur still suffer the devastation of Genocide. The statistics of deaths, displacements, and horror are very high. Not only is their government keeping the genocide going in Darfur, China is too. Danger in Darfur is unexplainable; this really needs to change.

We don’t know what is going on behind closed doors. So now is an important time for our country to help. In Darfur, half of their six million people are dependent on international aid, while three million are in camps. Four million people are displaced, and two million are dead.

Who is to blame for the horror going on everyday in Darfur? Believe it or not, it’s their government. The government has sponsored targeting, committing massive human rights abuses, and impeding humanitarian access and aid. The government is supporting crimes against humanity.

Some may argue that the U.S should not get involved but I disagree. Here is the weakness of the U.S helping. Starvation and mass forcible displacement is used as a weapon of destruction. Harassment, bombings of hospitals, clinics, schools, and other civilian sites are just some of the dangerous problems. As Americans, we could do something about this. Imagine if woman in your family went through what the women in Darfur go through. The girls are raped, and the wives are killed. I can’t even begin to describe what that would be like.

Everybody else would depend solely on the U.S, when we need help from other countries. Darfur can use as much help as we can give them. The Holocaust could not have been resolved without other help provided. This means, Darfur’s statistics could greatly me reduced with more help. We need to get a hold of the Sudanese government, and take charge to stop the genocide. The pain that the children suffer through, is equivalent to “cheese graters” down their backs. Not only would I appreciate your help, the people in Darfur would have their wildest dreams come true. Your help would save millions of lives, and their eyes would be opened to brand new opportunities.




Thank you for your time and consideration,






Alexis O.

The author's comments:
Letter to the President