Save Darfur | Teen Ink

Save Darfur

January 20, 2011
By SpastasticSarcastic BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
SpastasticSarcastic BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear President Barack Obama,


January 20, 2011

We know what is happening in Darfur so why don’t we do anything to stop it? We are one of the strongest nations yet we still have not made any moves to stop the genocide. What they are doing is wrong. This is murder so why don’t we treat it like it is? Every day things are getting worse.

What is happening in Darfur now is so similar to the Holocaust but we don’t treat it like it is. Why is that? We know that the Holocaust was wrong; we are taught that what happened was terrible. The same terrible things are going on now so why don’t we even try to stop it?

This is a mass murder of innocent people. When one person is murdered in the U.S. we make sure that they get justice. Thousands of people in Darfur will never receive justice. Every day people are tortured, raped, and murdered but we still have not made any moves to stop this once and for all. People die in camps from illness and malnutrition and then their bodies are thrown away like trash.

The number of people that have been killed keeps growing. From 200,000 to 300,000 to 400,000. Why don’t we take this as a sign that the problems in Darfur are not going to solve themselves? They are only going to grow. They are only going to grow.

Some may argue that because the problems are not happening in our own country, we should not do anything to help. When the Holocaust was happening we still helped even though the majority of the problems were not happening in our country. It is time for us to step up again.

The first step that we should take is to get the U.N. to officially declare this genocide. We should not be afraid anymore. We should charge Omar Al-Bashir for his crimes. Only after we take the first steps will things get better.








Sincerely,
Divia