Save Darfur | Teen Ink

Save Darfur

January 20, 2011
By danny__ BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
danny__ BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Dear President Obama,



January 20, 2011

The purpose of this letter is to fight for the Darfurians, where a mass genocide is taking place, which I’m sure you already know.

The situation in Darfur has affected over 9 million innocent peoples lives. Two million dead, three million in camps, and four million displaced. Does this sound familiar? It is the same thing that Hitler did in WWII. He tried to rule the world, and that might be Sudan’s next plan. There has recently been an election in Sudan, and now is the time to take a stand.

As a girl in Sudan, you would be raped in front of your family, and then killed. As a boy in Sudan, you would be handed a gun, and forced to kill your parents. Imagine your children in this situation. Wouldn’t you take a stand then?

Some may argue that it’s none of our business, and we should stay out of Darfur, but there are so many reasons why we should help, and the only current reason to stay away is because china is invested in the oil in Sudan. George Bush had the guts to stand up to China, and so should you. We helped with the people in the holocaust, and this could easily turn into the same thing.

We need to put an end to what’s happening now. Innocent people are dying, families are being ruined, and utter chaos is taking place in what was once such a peaceful place. As a citizen of America, I am begging you to take charge.

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter”



-Martin Luther King JR




Sincerely,


Daniel