Darfur | Teen Ink

Darfur

January 20, 2011
By lmoz123 BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
lmoz123 BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Guns Don't Kill People, People With Mustaches Do."


Dear President Barack Obama,





January 20, 2011

I would like to speak with you about the killings in Darfur. On 1-12-11, you gave a speech and said, “…Our country needs to live up to our children’s expectations…” I don’t think our children’s expectations include letting a genocide go on.

So far in Darfur, three million people are in camps, four million people have been displaced, and two million people have died. As I look over those numbers, I think of all the children among them. I have two younger brothers and if I lost them, it would be heartrending for me. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter”. Well right now, we need to speak out and help the people of Darfur.

Some may argue that we should not help them because we need to mind our own business and stay out of trouble, but that’s also what people said during the holocaust. We can’t just sit back and let people die. I’ve been to the Holocaust Memorial Museum, and I’ve seen the faces of all those who’ve passed away. Right now that same thing is happening in Darfur.

All I am asking you to do is to end the genocide. They may be a different race, religion, and color, but we are all people, and we all deserve hope. If we don’t have hope, then what do we have to keep us going and make us work hard to overcome something strong?

Right now, America is Darfur’s only hope. It is our responsibility as Americans to help these people because if we won’t, who will?








Your Concerned American,








Landon C.M.


The author's comments:
Letter sent to Barack Obama on 1-20-11 about the genocide in Darfur