The Hardest Present Yet

“Come with me to the locker room.” It was after school, at around five, after the speech and debate meeting had ended and I needed to pick up my soaking swim clothes in order to give my washer and dryer some work to do tonight.
“Um…ok sure, but we were just there.” My friend said.
“I know. Sorry, I didn’t realize it and forgot to pick up my clothes.” We had gone there as a group of ten or so friends and the coat of absent-mindedness had been draped over me, and I had walked past my locker without getting my clothes out.
And with that, she came with me to the locker room. Creating footsteps that were coated in fatigue as the sun stared at us, a penetrating glare, causing our skin to moisten. To the locker room that was ever so far, on the other side of the campus, Even though that meant running a little late for her carpool.

*

*

*
Not only the locker room time, but every day, whatever it be- homework, a quick favor, anything. She’ll come to the rescue. Even if she has nothing to lose, nothing to gain, but time wasted, she’ll help.
She shakes me into reality, by not responding the sugar-coated way you’d expect, by saying “No”, and by practically telling me that things aren’t always the way you want it to be.
She’s nicer than a cute little bunny, but has an attitude she can unleash. She’s someone I call a friend. A really good one, too. She’s one of the few for whom I take the extra time to go searching for the perfect birthday present. And so far, it’s the hardest present to find.

Skience said...
Feb. 6, 2011 at 7:57 am
The idea is good... It's a bit short... but not by much.. keep it up!!!!! 

lilmartz This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 24, 2011 at 9:01 am
I love the ending and how you got your title from it! I thought the idea of the story was good, but possibly you may have went a little overboard and tried a little too hard with the description. There wasn't that balance between story and description, so it didn't always flow like it should have. Other than that, this is really cute and it was very nice of you to write this about your friend because most often we take those kinds of things, like friendship and favors, for granted. Nice job :)

Markus This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I think that the idea of giving a gift to a good friend being tough is good, and if I were you I'd expand on that by hinting at her friendship being a gift so good that you felt yours had to equal it. I know the whole 'friendship is priceless' thing has been done to death, but it's surprisingly true for such a cliche.