Define Hope | Teen Ink

Define Hope

December 27, 2010
By Charlotte_G BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
Charlotte_G BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we should dance<3


HOPE is the thing with feathers, that perches on the soul,
and sings the tune without words, and never stop at all.
-Emily Dickenson
Hope is the anchor that hooks us to our fears; it never stops, even when we tell it too. Hope doesn’t believe in giving up. It shows us a path, that too many of us don’t want to follow. It shows us the way to our solutions. But why then does Hope have to pull at the strings of our heart, why is hope naïve enough to let us fall for, or hope for, things we can never have? It whispers in out ear that we are strong, that we are beautiful, and that we are everything we could ever dream. It tells us, believe in me, believe in yourself, have faith and fall for him. We do, but hope was wrong. It led us into the path of what we can only imagine.

Hope never leaves our side and hope can never be taken away. We can lose hope, in ourselves, in others. People can take away our pride, our freedom, our dignity, but as long as we believe in what we are fighting for, nobody can take hope away. Those who are the most hopeful are the most naïve. They are the ones that don’t see when all hope is lost, when there is nothing left. But in some sense they are the smartest, they are the ones who will find themselves stronger. Once we have had everything stripped away from us all we have is hope, and those who give up hope, they have nothing left.


The author's comments:
You hear so many definitions of what hope really is, and i wanted to define it for myself.