Swear Words

We've all heard them, presumably. We all know that they are frowned upon by many people. Why, though?

From the results of one study, as I have heard second- or third-hand from people who I trust, it was concluded that people have an easier time dealing with pain when they swear.

Also, where did swear words come from? I know that "crap came from a man who made major moves to popularize the water closet (an early flush toilet), named Thomas Crapper. I also know where words like "shit" and "fuck" came from. They are acronyms for "ship high in transit" and "fornicate under consent of the king." Why are these topics considered "inappropriate?" What's wrong with "bathroom words?

Pic unrelated, but just to promote some teen artwork that I like and should get more views.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 23, 2010 at 1:20 am:
Valid points, good start, but needs more work. Swear words are everywhere and you can complain all you like, but it won't change anything. Ignore it. The only time you could do anything about it is if it's explicit.