Gay Marriage | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage

October 21, 2010
By devsicle GOLD, Kennebunk, Maine
devsicle GOLD, Kennebunk, Maine
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Dream like you will live forever, life like you will die tomorow.


Every human should be treated equally in this country. Being gay doesn’t make you any less of a person. We, the citizens of this country, are doing the same thing to people who are gay that we did to people who were African American. I have been told growing up that I should learn from history, so why should learning from discrimination in history be any different? People shouldn’t be forbidden to marry just because they are attracted to the same sex.

The symbol of marriage is a ring because love never ends. This doesn’t say anything about who can get married. The same people that tell us our whole lives to accept people no matter what are now telling us same sex marriage shouldn’t be aloud. Our country is full of hypocrites.

For some reason, there always has to be a person or group of people to be bullied. The United States is like a mini high school. There are those that run the place and are looked upon like royalty, even though they don’t contribute to much. Then there are those who follow and decide that the only way to save themselves from being bullied is to join the bullies. Lastly, there are those who are bullied. The people who get beat up and get their insides ripped apart just because they have the guts to show their real selves.

How will the children of this country grow up if they are taught that a man and man or a woman and woman being together isn’t right? As these children get older, they might begin to question there sexuality and feel ashamed. No person should be ashamed for who they are attracted to.

If gay marriage is legalized, teachers are not going to teach your kids to be gay. Teachers will merely be accepting and go on with teaching acceptance, just like they have been doing for years. Nothing will change in the schools, the only people this law would really effect, is those people who are gay or lesbian or has a family member or a loved one that is gay or lesbian.

Gay marriage is something that should be allowed in our society and should definitely not be frowned upon. Everyone deserves to be happy and if getting married makes someone happy, why does it matter to other people? Discrimination has been a problem for years and will continue to be a problem if we do not start accepting the differences we all have.