On Style | Teen Ink

On Style

October 19, 2010
By jessicawoohoo SILVER, Cerritos, California
jessicawoohoo SILVER, Cerritos, California
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known." -Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters, 1999.


When you’re into fashion, you always want to be in on the latest trends. From thigh high socks to rompers and playsuits to sheer fabrics and bold, printed pants. But sometimes what’s ‘in-style’, just might not be YOUR style.
Developing a solid, statement style is key part of fashion. Your sense of style has to reflect who you are as a person; it has to make you feel comfortable and amazing.
While it’s important to be on top of the latest trends and what’s ‘in’ in the fashion world, it’s much more essential to dress for your figure and dress your style. If you get lost in the newest ‘it’ trend, you lose yourself, and even worse, you’ll probably be seen as a copycat poser with no fashion sense.
To develop a signature style, you have to first pinpoint what it is you like: what do you feel best in? what garments do you first look for when you enter a store? do you have a specific piece of clothing that makes you feel amazing? You have to feel amazing for other people to see that you’re amazing too!
Once you’ve figured out what pieces allow you to be comfortable, yet feel awesome, it’s time to figure out what kind of body-type you have. Are you tall, thin, short, athletic, curvy? Have long torso, short torso, long legs, short legs? Then decide what your best and not-so-great features are. You want to play up your best features, and conceal the ones you’re not so crazy about. By doing so, you’ll look and feel better about yourself because you know what’s great is what’s showing.
Most importantly, you gotta work it! Half of what your style is made up of comes from your inner-confidence, it’s called inner-style. Nothing you wear can work if you feel crummy inside. Your sense of style is made up of who you are inside, which then reflects what you choose to wear. We’ve all seen girls- and guys- that dress differently from the rest of the (conforming) pack, but you feel their aura, they exude confidence and you immediately notice that they have style- maybe not the ‘in style’ but it’s their style.
Your style, it’s much more important than anything ‘in style’, regardless if other people are wearing the same thing or not.