Public Skateboarding | Teen Ink

Public Skateboarding

By Apple92 BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts
Apple92 BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts

Skateboarding is an art; a hobby; a lifestyle; something to do. It is a lot of things, but it is not a crime. Skating in public is generally frowned upon by today’s society. Why is this? Well, skateboarders don’t exactly have the best reputation. Our image consists of stereotypes such as: druggies, junkies, skate rats, trashy, reckless, etc. I’m not saying that all skateboarders are respectful and well-mannered people; In fact, I don’t think that applies to any group of people. What I am saying is that those skateboarders that are respectful and well-mannered should not have to deal with the stereotypes bestowed upon them. They should not have to put up with the constant hate from the public just as the public should not have to deal with hate from stereotypical skaters.

As a skateboarder, I respect all people whom I come in contact with. I try my best not to disturb anyone or get in there way. However, I have experienced many different reactions from passersby. Some have been encouraging, but for the most part they’re very negative. Whether it’s a dirty look, a nasty comment, or just ignorance, responses from the public are mostly negative. Public skateboarding should not be like this. Especially to those who have nowhere else to skate; such as myself. Now that I live in Boston, the city that has almost no skate parks but is practically a skate park itself, I am limited to public areas to skate. I understand when an owner does not want skateboarders on their property. That’s a different story, and I respect their authority. The message I’m trying to convey here is not all skateboarders deserve negativity for skating public areas; most are just trying to have fun and skate.

Skateboarding is an art. When I pick up my skateboard and head outside, my goal is not to disrupt society. I skate because it’s what I love to do and it makes me feel good, just as any artist loves to create art. If a sketcher went outside with his or her easel to draw a scene, would they receive any hate? Of course they wouldn’t. Drawing is considered a beautiful art. Skateboarding is also just an activity. If a couple of kids went outside to toss a frisbee, would they receive any hate? No, they would not; in fact, they’d probably attract a bunch more kids. Well, skateboarding isn’t any different and should, for the most part, be treated the same way. I know it’s a lot to shoot for, but I feel that skaters should be given the benefit of the doubt. If they are stereotypical skaters, then don’t hold back on the hatred. Just don’t give crap to those who don’t deserve it.

Skateboarding is not a crime. It is a simple activity that some people love and some people hate. In reality, I know that there will always be haters. There will always be nasty comments and dirty looks, just as there will always be skaters who fall under the stereotypes. But if I affected your opinion for the better, even just slightly, then I have accomplished my goal. Skateboarding overall does not deserve the abhorrence it gets. There are plenty of well-mannered and respectful skaters out there. So the next time you come in contact with a skateboarder, try to give them the benefit of the doubt and remember: they’re just trying to have fun.

I've been living in Boston now for a little over a month. There are no skate parks that are less than a half hour away. I wrote this because I love to skate, but public responses have been dispiriting.

the569drop said...
the569drop, Hada Hee, Michigan
yess amazing I agree I cannot agree more I- sorry but still amazing

i love skateboarding and see what you are trying to say because i live in a small town with a small skatepark and thats it but lots f street spots