The Effects of Technology in our Social Life!

There are many challenges that my generation faces, and at fifteen I don’t know which one is most important, but the one that I notice the most is how much technology impacts the way we act socially. While phones and computers have a positive and convenient purpose they aren’t always used effectively, especially when people overuse them. Some examples are the use of social networks such as, Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter.

Many teens enjoy some of these ways of communicating. The problem however, is that they use them for many hours at a time and sometimes in place of talking to each other face to face, especially now with video chat and the ability to talk on phones through the computer. There is even a new program for Wii called Wii Speak where you can talk to other people who have Wii’s through a Wii as well as leaving messages and sending pictures to them. So many other things that originally had a purpose to be a convenient communicating tool have evolved into social devices. Phones used to be simple and helpful in emergencies, but now they are more complex and used for texting and Internet access. Many times when I hang out with my friends, instead of talking to me they text other friends. I find it very rude to completely ignore the person you’re with in order to text someone else.

I know I’m only fifteen and I don’t know how to make this issue disappear, but that won’t stop me from trying to reduce the problem. Mainly people are going to have to realize the importance of face-to-face contact, and decide that they want to use social networks less. For example, people should talk to other people on social networks only if they have something important to say to the other person and not when you just want to randomly talk to them. If you just want to talk to them but not for a real reason then you should meet up in person. Also, people should stop wasting time by going on silly websites like Twitter. It’s really not necessary to share everything you’re doing with the world. I think that over time this social challenge will be resolved if we all help change it.

SecretNonConformist said...
This was really interesting! I myself have a hearing problem so all this technology is a blessing for me. However, for people who don't need it for better communication, it's just a waste of time. It was nice reading your opinions on this!

ilovewriting95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 9, 2010 at 1:33 pm :
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. I'm sorry you have a hearing problem. :(   

SecretNonConformist replied...
Oct. 9, 2010 at 2:06 pm :
It's ok, I'm used to it. Like I said, texting and facebook help out a lot!

Oct. 9, 2010 at 5:34 pm :
That's good!

Villiam_Rashid replied...
Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:57 pm :
Nice article. Planning on writing something similiar.