Salad Without Dressing | Teen Ink

Salad Without Dressing

By Got_Interest GOLD, Arnold, Maryland
Got_Interest GOLD, Arnold, Maryland

"Box falls out of sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard, and look at you- you're just sitting there."
-Matt Smith as The Doctor

I believe that people should be like salad without dressing. Now, before you widen your eyes, sit or stand up, raise your hand, point to the heavens, and declare that I am crazy, just stop and hear me out. If you take your time and think about it, you could easily compare people to salad. Here’s why.
Reason one: People, like salad, are all unique and pretty in their own special way. The problem is people are never content with the way they are; they feel the need to change themselves. So, people add “dressing” (which, in my opinion, totally ruins a salad) in order to change the way they look (or, in a salad’s case, the way it tastes). Except a person’s “dressing” is comprised of Botox, fashionable clothing, plastic surgery, makeup, and silicon, rather than delicious fatty oils and herbs. People completely cover up what they look like with huge globs of “caesar dressing,” right up to the point that they become comparable to the gross, oily look your salad’s leaves get if you put on too much dressing. People get to the point of looking inhuman, what with their stretched faces (insert Star Trek Generations movie reference here) and their permanent smiles. All because they are not content with the way they are.
Reason two: People should be like salad without dressing because salad, like people, is (usually) healthy and great just as it is. Every single person is born with a good amount of inner beauty, just like a salad starts out as a nice and healthy meal. Then, on goes the DREADED DRESSING (dun, dun, dunnnn)! Dressing has a great amount of carbohydrates in it (unless, of course, it’s light) which can represent the wall of lies that we build up around ourselves. People seem to think that if they don’t act a certain way then people won’t accept them. That’s why people develop a split personality- one personality for work, another for school, and for friends, and for family, even for strangers! A person’s true personality only really shows when no one is around. People can be so self- conscious that they create their very own “Ranch Dressing” comprised of lies and deception- all for the sake of covering up the truth about who and what they are, A person’s “Ranch Dressing” can even make them act in a way that they, themselves, don’t like; thus the “bad carbs” cover up the “health value” or inner beauty that they have beneath the surface.
People should be like salad without dressing because without the “dressing,” people will remain the way God intended them to be. I believe that people shouldn’t hide the way they are from the world, but should instead shine brightly, and show the world that they are content, comfortable, and confident with the way they look, and the way they are. That, and if everyone were to only act and look the way everyone else says they should, then there would be an utter lack of individuality which would make the world a very boring place indeed.

I actually did this, again, for school, again, in 8th grade. This was for the end-of-year 8th grade chapel, and so yes, it does have religious refrences in it, but on the other hand, it is also mostly about being yourself. This essay that I wrote ended up getting through to a lot of people, so I decided to post it.

Got_Interest GOLD, Arnold, Maryland

-Matt Smith as The Doctor

I know that was a joke... but I think you are missing the point of the article all together.

Internal-Love PLATINUM, Queens, New York

Nothing's black or white, its all just a shade of gray---

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

Ok. BUT I'D HAVE TO SAY IF I HAD TO BE LETTUCE I'D BE RED CABBAGE. THE PURTY COLOR BRINGS OUT MY EYES  XD

Got_Interest GOLD, Arnold, Maryland

-Matt Smith as The Doctor

Well, in my opion, I don't like it. Nuthin wrong with that

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

actually i happen to like caesar dressing in my salad (thank you very much). It gives the lettuce flavor. NEVER DISS DRESSING!!!!!

XD (lol) XD