Mosque or no Mosque? | Teen Ink

Mosque or no Mosque?

September 8, 2010
By Anonymous

How many of you are American? How many know of Pearl Harbor? Good. Now, how many of you were alive and knew what was happening on September 11, 2001?
Both were extremely tragic events in American history. Now, a group of people are trying to undermine the deaths of the American citizens on September 11 by building a Islam mosque TWO BLOCKS down from the site of the World Trade Centers. Now, if your dad, mom, brother, sister, relative, or friend died in the 9/11 attack (which was done BY Islams, might I add), how would you feel?
If it was another religion, I wouldn't maybe think it was such a big deal. But the huge golden domes on top of the mosque signify conquering something. So, in my mind, this is a slap in the face to survivors and relatives of 9/11.
NO ONE would have accepted this if someone had wanted to build a Japanese monument in Hawaii nine years after 9/11. So, why is this acceptable today?
A huge Greek Orthodox church was destroyed in the 9/11 attack. The members of this church are STILL trying to get the zoning to rebuild SOMETHING THAT WAS ALREADY THERE. And yet, this mosque is going through with almost no trouble.

This. Is. A. Problem. In. Our. Government.

They can never stick to anything. Churches get revoked all of the time if the citizens don't want it. Since this was a national event, I think that all citizens of America should have a say in this. If you agree with me, I say that we, as the future of America, write a kind, polite letter to President Obama, saying how we disagree with this. Although this may not get us anywhere, at the very least, we can say we tried.


The author's comments:
This piece is dedicated to all of the victims of 9/11 and was written in the hope of stopping this embarrassment from being built. I do not mean to be critical or insult anyone, but I have said what needed to be said.