I Miss the Days of the Old | Teen Ink

I Miss the Days of the Old

By taylort12294 BRONZE, Aston, Pennsylvania
taylort12294 BRONZE, Aston, Pennsylvania

"If ever there is a tomorrow we’re not together… There is something you must remember: you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart, I’ll always be with you.

I miss when I was little I didn’t have to worry about anything. The only thing that I was scared of was the monster under my bed, and I always knew my blankie would protect me. I thought that everything had a happy ending, and nothing ever went wrong. I miss when I made a mistake my parents just told me not to do it again, and everything was okay. I miss running around and playing tag and when being tickled was the funniest thing in the world. I miss thinking I was the coolest kid because I could ride a “big girl” bike, and when getting older was something to look forward to. I miss my parents being proud of me just because I colored in the lines if a picture, and it went on the front of the refrigerator. I miss when me and my best friend were like sisters, and the biggest thing was who you had a crush on. When me and my brother acted like we loved each other. I miss when my biggest accompishment was being the fastest runner, and when everything was easy.

Now everything is a different story. Blankie won’t protect me from being scared, it only stops the tears running down my face. Rarely anything in this world has happy endings, and it seems like everything goes wrong. Now when I make a mistake, I get yelled at and its like a battle on who can yell the loudest. Playing tag is for little kids, and everyone’s to lazy to get up and do anything. Being tickled is now annoying, and you just want to hit everyone that tries to. Riding the “big girl” bike is over, I don’t even ride bikes anymore, I’d be lucky if i remembered how to ride one. Getting older means more responsiblites, not more fun. Now the only thing that makes my parents proud is having a good report card and even then, i just get a “keep it up” or “you can still do better” and then it gets thrown aside. My best friend then and I aren’t even that close anymore, and when we hang out, all we talk about is the past or what we wished happened, and the recent drama. My brother and I only get along sometimes, and he looks up to me for everything. And now being the fastest runner is only good in sports. Nothing is easy anymore. Nothing is ever good enough anymore, good doesn’t please anyone. Everyone and everything is changing around me every day. I miss the days of being a little kid.

I miss the energy and free-spiritedness of being a little kid

on Aug. 1 2010 at 12:10 am
conversegirl23 BRONZE, Wasilla, Alaska
1 article 1 photo 36 comments

"So many frogs, so few princes"

Ditto for me. Well said.