Don't Wait for Prince Charming

Let’s take a minuet to look at Disney’s princess. I can almost guaranty that some of the ones that come to mind are: Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Princess Jasmine. All of the above have one thing in common; they sit around and wait to be saved. Disney is sending the wrong message to young girls, to all girls. Everyone wants to be saved by prince charming, but the question is why. Why did Snow White hide with the seven dwarfs instead of confronting the Queen herself? Why didn’t Cinderella go tell the prince who she was instead of waiting for him to come to her?
My point is if everyone’s sitting around waiting to be saved then who’s getting saved? Certainly not the teenage girl who swears she’s going to marry her boyfriend. What happens when she finds out the boyfriend is cheating on her? Girls don’t need prince charming to be happy. They don’t need a man to come and save them. That’s not what love is for. No one can make you happy but yourself. Love is meant to just be there, to let you know you’re not alone, not to save you.
Maybe if we had stronger princesses to fill the minds of girls we wouldn’t all be waiting in the tower. I’m not saying get rid of the prince I’m just saying why can’t a girl save herself and still get the prince?

rockstardream said...
I strongly agree. However of course, Disney didn't create those stories- they've been folk stories for quite some time, so you can't really blame Disney for the "wrogn message". Excluding that, I am in strong agreement with the message your text portrays- everyday at school there is always some girl upset and crying over a boy- I try to point out "Hey, it's not the end of the world. You know how many guys you'll go through? You can't go chasing something that doesn't chase back. Chase something ... (more »)

eric replied...
Nov. 3 at 4:18 am :
Diseny isn't the problem. The problem is the people so stupid they beieve fairy tales are real. Theres no excuse for being so stupid. No blame for anyone but you for  your own lack of intelligence. Let me try this IT'S A CARTOON ... CARTOONS AREN'T REAL!

MissyninjaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 10:48 pm:
I Love it true a 100% !

moonpetal said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 7:48 pm:
Hey yeah! Tottally true! I try to get my friends to get this but they DON'T. Glad other chicks get it. :D

CrazyWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 1:40 pm:
Yes! i agree completely!!  thank you for writing this article. Love it!girls cant wait forever, we are strong and can do anything. we need to stop second guessing ourselves.We can do it. We just need to believe in ourselves. once again thanks for writing this article.

WhimsicalKestrel said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 9:09 am:
LOVE THIS ARTICLE!!!!
This is soooooo true-thank for writing it!!

Teardrops replied...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm :
Thank you for thanking me it's nice to be appreciated

addicted1997 said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 9:25 am:
This is a very smart, to-the-point atrticle, and it relates to the topic if teenage girls very deeply. I really enjoyed reading this piece.

weenpie:) said...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 11:42 am:
This is so true .Straight to the point .just how i like it.So many people base their lives off of wishes & dreams,but yet what if u dont get your prince & u get the villian instead. Life goes on . She just has to CHOOSE. Maybe u are your own prince charming.Love yourself & others will love u

forrestthecat said...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:45 am:
Although I disagree with your argument, I believe your article was very well written and to-the-point...not to mention I love Disney. :)

Teardrops replied...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:53 pm :
Thankyou for your hounesty

country_girlx14 said...
Jul. 11, 2010 at 11:39 pm:
i love your article! its so true and its what alot of teens and young girls out there need to know. i mean how can we expect to be saved just sitting down? the guy is doing all the work by trying to rescue us while we sit around and put on nail polish!!! lol :P great work by the way, amazing :)

bgirlnumber4 said...
Jul. 11, 2010 at 11:24 pm:
I like your article a lot It really hits the point and is a really important topic :) You should check out some of my articles once you get the chance :) Great job keep writing! :)