The Ugly Truth About Beauty | Teen Ink

The Ugly Truth About Beauty

June 16, 2010
By CourtneyC GOLD, Phoenix, Arizona
CourtneyC GOLD, Phoenix, Arizona
14 articles 3 photos 4 comments

Men love their video games. Whether it is Call of Duty, Smash Brothers Brawl, or the Legend of Zelda—the male species bonds through the playing of these games. I have attempted to play a few before and after a few minutes, have experienced a headache from the bright screen and intense competition to win the game. Men love video games as a way to escape from reality, into a fantasy world. They play violent games that involve guns to prove their masculinity through a television set. Two weeks ago, I realized the extreme obsession teenage boys have with video games. Walking with my boyfriend into his friend’s house one night, I encountered a room overflowing with boys: five boys sitting around a flat screen television playing Call of Duty, six boys playing Guitar Hero on another screen, three desktop computers with the online version of Call of Duty, and—the most astonishing part—a ping pong table covered with fifteen laptops all loading the beloved game of Star Craft. The room was silent as the massive amount of males meticulously exercised their fingers on the computer keyboards and Xbox controllers.

As I was the only girl in the room, I realized how ridiculous the video game obsession has become. Boys sit around for hours staring at a computer screen, living in a fantasy world where once you are shot, you magically are revived and back in the game. Females do not spend their days playing video games as we have essential and intelligent activities to participate in. Unlike the silent room that lacks socializing, women can hold a conversation with their friends while doing another activity. Women were born with the gift of multi-tasking, and spend their free time creating a social life instead of pretending to be a soldier in a fantasy video game. Perhaps men are more simpleminded creatures, craving an escape from actuality, whereas women are strong enough to face reality head-on.