What do you expect of me? | Teen Ink

What do you expect of me?

By terrong SILVER, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
terrong SILVER, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Everyone wants me to be successful. As successful as they feel I should be. My mother, father, uncle, teachers, everyone. But the thing is, I'm not Drake. I don't want to be successful. Or at least, not if it's a synonym for wealth like they think. Everyone stresses that I need to be rich, and make them proud, but why can't my happiness make them proud? If I try my hardest at something I like, why can that never be enough for you? I want a family, and to be able to support it. I want to learn to write well, and build things people never thought possible. Please, stop stressing how important wealth is. I don't care about wealth. It won't make me happy.

My family is rather... full of stress to be wealthy. I don't understand why, but I'd like to show this to them if it's published.

college@15 said...
on Jul. 29 2010 at 12:07 am
I completely agree.  Parents push their children towards being a doctor or a lawyer or something else successful.  Their kid says something like "I want to be an artist" and they make sure to knock down the kid's dreams and say, no you should not.  They mould their children to be doctors and lawyers, and then wonder why their child has a midlife crisis and abandons their career to do what they really want.  It is sad that society has become like this and I truly hope it will change