How Do We Measure a Year? | Teen Ink

How Do We Measure a Year?

April 30, 2010
By Anorien BRONZE, Pagadian City, Other
Anorien BRONZE, Pagadian City, Other
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference."


525, 600 minutes. That is the length of a year. But how do we measure a year? In sunrises? Sunsets? In midnights or mid afternoons? In inches, in miles in laughter or in strife?
In 525,600 minutes, how do we measure our last year on earth?
Imagine yourself lying on a hospital bed, waiting for the doctor to come in…. Praying and Hoping… When he comes in through that door and you see the expression on his face, then you know that the Cancer has spread and there’s nothing he or you can do about it… Words need not to be said but still you ask “How Long?” Then he tells you “One Year more or less”.
Your eyes start to weep, and you can hear a small sob from your throat. But your mind hangs to those words. “One Year”. Slowly, your mind feels the immensity of those words and you feel the world crashing down on you.
How do we measure our last year on earth?
For some of us, this question need not to be asked for it is already been done. But for most, it is a question that we can only answer. Nobody can answer this for you. You must decide for yourself what to do with the time that is given to you.
If you only had 525, 600 minutes to live, how would you live it? Would you sit down and cry yourself all year? Or would you stand up and make do with time? Would you be miserable and curse God for doing this to you, for giving you this disease? Or would you be thankful for the time that he gives you so that you can do all the things that you want to do. Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and in acceptance lieth peace.
What will come will come and we will have to meet it when it did. Death is inevitable. Not just for those with diseases but for all of us. We will never know when our time will be, but when it does come, we must face it with our heads held high because we know we have lived our lives to the fullest. To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure, it is only a part of life. It is a journey that we all someday must take.


The author's comments:
This article is dedicated to a friend of mine who died of Cancer and to all Cancer victims. I hope we all live our lives to the fullest so that when death comes for us, we would have no regrets.....