The "L" Word | Teen Ink

The "L" Word

By daisyduke4 BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
daisyduke4 BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois

"Never give up on the one you can't go a day without thinking about"~Unknown

"We only got 86,400 seconds in a day to turn it all around or throw it all away/gotta live like we're dying" ~ "Live Like We're Dying" - The Script

“Love is like a rumor, everyone talks about it, but no one truly knows.” Anonymous

What really is love? Does it even exist anymore? So many songwriters lace love into their works, but do they even know? These days, we tell our friends we love them, or we often thrown the word into regular conversation when talking about an inanimate object we find enjoyable, such as a movie or a book. Of course, it is not meant to be used this way and it loses its meaning after being overused so often in this way. So my question is… are we blinded by a false idea of love or does it really exist?
“Love cannot endure indifference. It needs to be wanted. Like a lamp, it needs to be fed out of the oil of another's heart, or its flame burns low.” ~Henry Ward Beecher
“There a many fish in the sea”. Is this a true idea or just something that caught on between parents in order to comfort their heart-broken teenager? If it is a true idea in the minds of most people, that is pretty contradictory to the whole “one true love” idea and the quest to find “the one” in every young adult’s heart. Which is correct? And recently I learned that young adults in the modern times now are introducing the concept in which every person has SEVERAL soul mates, not just a single one. Everybody’s looking for love, but how many have actually found it? And is there such thing as “the one” or are there several people out there who are all compatible with you? And what if you find out they weren’t ever right for you in the first place?
"If I hadn't met you, I wouldn't like you. If I hadn't liked you, I wouldn't love you. If I wouldn't love you, I wouldn't miss you. But I did, I do and I will." ~Unknown

The heartbreak is inevitable at some point in every relationship, but the time it hits is unique to each. Often the “victim” of the heartbreak is depressed for a temporary time and feels worthless. My friends who have been through this have told me they spend all their time soon after wishing for what isn’t there anymore. They resent the “other girl” if there is one and basically just mourn for what couldn’t have been avoided. This is a time to pull your friends close and try to jump over the obstacle soon. Thank goodness I haven’t had to pull myself through a time like this, but that’s not to say my friends and I haven’t been through tough times. We’ve taken from these little life lessons that you just have to live and learn. You just have to keep on livin’. Life goes on. And hopefully soon, you’ll find happiness.
“You know you’re crazy about someone when you take a longer way to class, even if it means climbing an extra set of stairs, just to see him.” ~ Unknown

People these days, especially females, are in love with the concept of being in love or falling in love. They adore the weak-in-the-knees feeling and the pounding heart when he’s near. They love the way he’s all they think about 24/7. They fancy the flowers, candies, teddy bears, and the affection they are showered with when in love. They dream of the day when he’ll finally like them back. For those lucky enough, that’s a reality. And when it is, the “victim” is very crazy! She’s on Cloud 9 constantly and nothing can bring her down. The starry-eyed best friend is filled with happiness and spreads smiles like swine flu.
“You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly.”~ Angelina Jolie

So all in all, while we may still have no answers, love is extremely powerful, especially when you are young. Nothing can fully prepare you for when the person you’ve been looking for walks through the door of happiness you didn’t know you left open.

I hope people realize how we slowly are forgetting the meaning of love and that everybody has their own theory on what love actually is.