Tolerance | Teen Ink

Tolerance

By MRichards738 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
MRichards738 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

High school is confusing. I know that’s not the first time you’ve heard that.

Nothing at Arrowhead is done by a set of rules. There isn’t a list of requirements on how to be popular, you either are or you aren’t. There are some things that set everyone apart, the cliques. Personally, I don’t know what I am, I don’t know what people call me, and I don’t know how the rest of this judgmental school views me. And I don’t want to know. I have my own image of myself, and I hang out with the same group of friends who see me for who I really am and see what I really have to offer the world. That doesn’t need to be ruined by this school and these people. But the rumors, the whispering, and the glares do happen. And it does affect me, as it would with anyone else who has to deal with it.
I’m happy. The popular people have their…everything, but I can think of a few things that I have that they wish they did. I have my amazing boyfriend of almost two years who honestly cares about me, while they have their drunken hook-ups with guys who only want to please themselves. I have my friends who always have my back no matter what, while they have their friends who do nothing but stab them in the back. But some people try so hard to be popular when they don’t see the great things they have right in front of them.
The popular people are so materialistic. I noticed how when I recently bought a blackberry, people who never talked to me before commented on my ‘cool’ phone. They really don’t care that I had to pay for it and the bill every month myself, but at least it’s a cool phone. Money plays a huge role in popularity, whether people choose to believe that or not. Its funny how the only people who disagree with that, are the popular people because they don’t see it. They’re already in so they’re blind to everything else. I’m not quite sure what else makes up a popular person. There are some people who have nice, expensive things who aren’t popular at all. And some popular people are the same social class as me. There isn’t a list of requirements.
High school is definitely an experience. It’s a challenge that everyone is forced to take. With all the decisions and choices, it’s easy to go wrong somewhere. You have those same choices if you want to fit in with a group of friends. If you simply just choose to be happy whether you’re popular, a hippie, a jock, a nerd, or whatever you are, then high school will be one of the best adventures of your life. Everyone says high school is so vicious and full of cliques, but if you decide to avoid it, be happy, and be yourself, it’ll be the fastest, most fun four years of your life that you will never forget.

on Jun. 6 2010 at 9:07 am
you_are_awesome GOLD, London, Other

if you're a bird, i'm a bird :)

i agree!! - its all about the way you look at the situation :)