What Do You Have Against Gays? | Teen Ink

What Do You Have Against Gays?

May 5, 2010
By iloveyou. BRONZE, North Vernon, Indiana
iloveyou. BRONZE, North Vernon, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Daily, gays get ridiculed, spat at, pushed around, and beat up simply because of their sexual orientation. It makes me mad because they can't help it. It's not like they woke up one day and decided 'Oh, I think I'm going to like the same sex for a change.' They don't deserve to be treated like a pile of poo. They're people, too, and they have feelings that get hurt just like yours.

I think that gay marriage should be legal. They fall in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together, and it must hurt so bad knowing they can't tie the knot with marriage because of what gender they want to marry. Many people don't want to allow gay marriage because of the Bible when in actuality Jesus says nothing about same-sex behavior.

According to equalrightsfoundation.org, most Californians voted for Proposition 8, which overturned the legalization of gay marriage that was approved just a few months before. Why would you take back what you already approved? By denying gays the right to marry, you deny them basic rights like the right to inherit land and to medical, tax, and retirement benefits. The fact that they're married doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever in the first place.

Only ten states plus the District of Columbia allow gay couples to adopt. The other 40 don't and their three main reasons are:

1. 'The child is better off with one mother and one father', this is not necessarily true. Gay couples are more open and honest with their feelings and they tend to be more open-minded with their children as opposed to straight couples who aren't used to being judged as much as gays and don't know what it feels like to get dirty looks constantly.

2.' Gay men should not be allowed to adopt because they're statistically more likely to be child molesters.' In fact, according to a study conducted in 1998 by the Journal of the American Medical Association, only about 2% of convicted child molesters are gay, so that theory is mostly wrong.
3.' Children who grow up in gay households are more likely to turn out to be gay themselves.' That is not necessarily true. Growing up in a gay household will make gays, lesbians, and bisexuals more comfortable to come out and be okay with their sexual orientation.
All of these reasons to not allow gays to marry infuriate me because that's what psychic evaluations are for. Don't judge all gays to these statistics because not all gays are the same.

Gays are just the same as you. Don't judge them when you don't even know them. So, please next time you see a gay/lesbian couple walking down the street, please don't give them dirty looks because they have enough to worry about without your judgement and disapproval.