The Curse | Teen Ink

The Curse

By samanthag BRONZE, Houston, Texas
samanthag BRONZE, Houston, Texas

“Selfishness is the greatest curse of the human race.” This quote by William E. Gladstone is about the fact that no one can really survive if they are selfish. In life, the key to everything is selfishness. I’ve learned that if I want something, I may begin to get selfish, but actually, I would have a better chance of getting what I want by not being wrapped up in myself. As I get older, I find that the less conceited you are, the more you are liked by other people and better you feel about yourself.

Often, when people are selfish, they believe that they are happy but really aren’t. They aren’t happy because they aren’t liked, and they don’t have friends or family to make them happy. Instead of being happy, they are lonely. If you are unselfish, you may not have everything that you want, but you have friends and family that make you happy. Also, when you are unselfish and go out of your way to help a less fortunate person, you get the satisfaction of helping and making someone else’s day.

Selfishness can also be blamed for the current state of the economy. Almost everybody these days takes more than what they need of things, which has results in our national debt. If we help less fortunate people and give them some of the things that they don’t have, things will get better because everyone will have a moderate amount of items that they need instead of some people having an abundance and some people having a little.

Overall, there is not a single good thing about selfishness. It makes you and the people around you unhappy. If you are unselfish, you may have to sacrifice things you think are important to you, but you feel better in the long run because you are happier. Also, if you are unselfish, not only will it make you and the people around you happy, but when all of the efforts are conjoined and after some time, it will make the country happier.

We need to be unselfish so that other people can benefit from our sacrificing. You should try to go out of your way to help less fortunate people or be unselfish and sacrifice something that isn’t that important to you so that someone else can have it, and to make the world a better place.

I hope that people will realize what they can do to make the world a better place.