How things can get out of hand, quick | Teen Ink

How things can get out of hand, quick

Just recently I found myself in legal trouble and it all started off as 4 kids just simply wanting to swimming. Now only one of the kids in our group is a real “troublemaker” but regardless we all gave into peer pressure. We went to a girl’s backyard to go swimming and we ended up throwing the furniture into her pool as a “joke” but they didn’t take it as a “joke”.
I later found myself begging for my parents to trust me again and to forgive me. I learned my lesson…don’t give into peer pressure.
Peers influence your life, even if you don't realize it, just by spending time with you. You learn from them, and they learn from you. It's only human nature to listen to and learn from other people in your age group. Making decisions on your own is hard enough, but when other people get involved and try to pressure you one way or another it can be even harder.If all of your friends were doing fun and memorable, its only normal that you would want to do the same. Now you wouldn’t want to look like an outcast do you? That’s how easy it is to give into peer pressure. That’s why you have to choose your friends wisely because you might find out who they really are, at the worst moment.
53% of teens in America have smoked drugs due to peer pressure. 49% of teens in America have drank alcohol due to peer pressure. And 56% of teens in America have broken laws/rules due to…peer pressure. Teens in our society are more prone to participate in these activities either because their parents don’t keep an eye on them or the people they hang out with. This shows that not all kids are as innocent as they seem. Most parents have already gone through all these problems. And maybe that’s why they are so lenient toward teens.
Peer pressure is one thing that all teens have in common. You can't escape it; it is everywhere. No matter how popular you are, how well liked you may be or how together you feel, sooner or later you will have to face peer pressure. Whether it is pressure to conform to a group norm or pressure to act a certain way peer pressure is something everybody has to deal with at some time in their life. How successfully you handle peer pressure depends a great deal on how you feel about yourself and your place in the world.

You always have a choice, no matter how daring the situation may seem. The important thing is to consider the consequences that may occur. Remember, peer pressure can only win if you let it.

good