Cell Phones Negative Impact on Society | Teen Ink

Cell Phones Negative Impact on Society

By RosyOptimism DIAMOND, Coronado, California
RosyOptimism DIAMOND, Coronado, California

The year of 1947 was when the basic concept of cellular phones formed. Sixty-three years later, the cell phone has undergone drastic changes. Now in the year 2010, there are keyboards, touch screens, internet, games, and more!

Cell phones are now not only for rapid and easy communication, but also, they are terrific to look up facts, text friends, etc. As useful as they are, do the positives out weigh the negatives?

To begin, every where you look, you see people walking down the street with their eyes glued to the small screen in their hands. Gone are the days of Beauty and the Beast, where Belle was a book worm, and had her nose stuck in great classics. On the other hand, people can learn from their phones, and twice as fast. Education comes in all different forms and many people believe if they can look up information on their phone, including current news, then they are learning and expanding their mind. So what’s the problem?

The problem starts early, probably during the pre-teen years. In middle-school and all through high-school, pressure gradually increases to do well in school: especially at a college-prep school. Ever heard this…It’s not if you are going to college, it’s where you are going to college. The kids carry around their cell phones while they attend classes. The problem forms here; during tests, (thanks to the invention of text and mute), they can text their friends for answers if they get stuck. On the opposite spectrum, people might say that friends could just ask during breaks or at lunch. However, a person cannot remember everything, and the younger the kid is the less likely he or she will retain the answers (especially under pressure or when feeling guilty).

Cheating on tests is one thing, but then there are the emotionally hurtful aspects. The internet makes bullying speedier, harsher, and it never goes away. It can be seen by anyone and everyone. Cyber bullying is made quicker with cell phones; people do not have to use a computer anymore. The bullying can lead people to depression, eating disorders, make people feel bad about themselves, and to even become suicidal.

Cell phones have also created less unity with families and the people around them. While waiting for food at a restaurant, a person will be looking at their work e-mails, and in turn make the other person feel less important. Another uncomfortable and rude situation is when a person invites a friend over, and the entire time she/he is waiting for a text or is texting another friend. The next generation (or so) is not going to ever be able to connect with another person, confront someone, or talk to someone face to face. People skills will have rapidly declined, because when a person is writing, he or she feels safe. He is more secure and more confident that he would be in person (which could lead back to bullying).

The ability to communicate is priceless and a cell phone increases that ability, but at the same time decreases it. When it comes time for a job interview, you cannot just send a resume in or how about a college interview. Cell phones make it easy it to communicate in times of emergencies, and in general they make life more efficient. In the end though, the updates and new features have completely ruined society more than anything: texting, internet, music, etc. So what do you think of cell phones now?

Just personal experience.

on Feb. 1 2016 at 4:49 am
I cant agree more

on Dec. 30 2015 at 4:18 am
KatalyticReaction GOLD, Frisco, Texas

"We need more completely sane people doing completely crazy things.” -Hank Green

Beautifully written! Your main character is someone I can personally empathize with and your words form ideas that provoke many thoughts for me, which is something not often accomplished. You deserve the checkmark.

Kris_xo said...
How do you cite this in APA ?

woahbroh said...
Crazy, i never thought about this before

YesHello said...
YesHello, Cheltenham, Pennsylvania
yes right jskfsefj e

YesHello said...
YesHello, Cheltenham, Pennsylvania
if u use noodle tools then u create a citation

YesHello said...
YesHello, Cheltenham, Pennsylvania
what do u use

YesHello said...
YesHello, Cheltenham, Pennsylvania
How do you cite dis

Shaylia Kursim, Cincinnati, Ohio
*What *They're *our

15dbosaw said...
i told agree with wht there saying phones have ruined r lifes but also have helped them

Valedy Ross said...
Valedy Ross, Danielsville, Pennsylvania
how do I cite this article in mla format?

sams said...
on Apr. 28 2013 at 2:34 am
2010 it says at the top

Bjrsmith said...
What year was this article written?