The Still Surviving World Of Harry Potter | Teen Ink

The Still Surviving World Of Harry Potter

April 18, 2010
By tealtitan7 BRONZE, Silver Spring, Maryland
tealtitan7 BRONZE, Silver Spring, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I adore Harry Potter. I've been a fan since 2001, when I was a little first grader who had to have the books read to her by her mom. Within the next two years, five of the seven books had come out, but I was too young to go to the premieres. But by the sixth book, I was going to midnight premieres, and I'll never forget how fun they were. The whole downtown got dressed up in robes and for one night, our local Borders was 'Flourish and Blotts;' while the pub down the corner was advertising their spaghetti as 'Madeye Moody Meatballs'. I discussed theories with random strangers while in line, and we all took collective groans of jealousy when we saw someone ahead get their copy. It was the perfect time to be a Harry Potter fan.
Then again, there is really no bad time to be a Harry Potter fan. People don't realize it, but our fandom is stronger than ever, and there are still so many things to look forward to.

The internet is still alive with HP excitement akin to a midnight book premiere. Websites such as Mugglenet.com, which is my personal favorite, as well as TheLeakyCauldron.org, report on the latest Potter news (because believe me, whether or not we will ever get a new book about Harry's adventures, there is still tons) and are a place where fans can discuss the many things J. K. Rowling left open in the final book. Their forums are alive with people still talking about the books, and I can think of no better way to whittle away a day than to comment on the various theories and discuss with my fellow fans. The two website's podcasts, MuggleCast and PotterCast, respectively, also keep new ideas alive by discussing and debating, and manage to be absolutely hilarious at the same time.

Even if, for some insane reason, you feel it's too 'dorky' or 'lame' to be a part of the online fandom, there are still many HP related events to look forward to in the next few years. The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter is the soonest, with a recently announced opening date of June 18, 2010, is sure to be a hit, giving fans the ability to walk through both Hogwarts castle and various shops from Wizarding towns Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. I plan on going during the latest HP conference in July, called Infinitus 2010. These conferences are another great way to get into the series. They are held every few years, usually around movie and book premieres, and give fans the opportunity to connect, play Quidditch, meet important figures in the fandom such as fan website contributors and sometimes movie actors, and generally have fun together for a few days in total HP bliss.

Some more upcoming big events for the fandom are the two part movie adaptations of the final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, set for November 19, 2010 for part I and July 15, 2011 for part II. While not quite as played up as the book premieres, at least where I live, they're just as fun to dress up for and discuss afterward with your fellow movie goers.

And, if you really have your heart on seeing a book premiere, our favorite author is planning on releasing a Harry Potter encyclopedia sometime in the next few years. Even if it's not technically a new chapter in the story, it will undoubtedly have the new information that we crave and the classic Jo Rowling humor that we love.

This world isn't stopping or even slowing down any time soon, so I advise you to give it a try.
And with that, I say Nitwit! Blubber! Odment! Tweak!
What does that mean? Well, you'll have to read to find out, won't you?


The author's comments:
Despite the last Harry Potter book was released almost three years ago, faithful fans have no intentions to stop expressing their love for the series. I encourage you to become one of them.