Memories are what matter | Teen Ink

Memories are what matter

March 23, 2010
By Rhino1996 BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan
Rhino1996 BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
" My Shoes In A CLOUD!"


I pondered this thought in my head over a million times, “What matters?” I kept on thinking, and then I noticed my mom’s (used to be grandma’s) poster from 1942 when all the Japanese citizens in America had to be taken into internment camps. That’s when it hit me, what matters to me are memories. Not many people realize it or care but one day were going to die and all that will be left of us is our memories. When I look at that poster or when I see old toys I remember the past and all the wonderful memories I have of people who are no longer with me.


Five months ago a good friend of mine died in a car accident. When I woke up that morning I never would have guessed that my friend would no longer be with us. Now all that I have of him is our memories. He was one the most respectable and caring men I’ve ever seen. Even though he didn’t know he was going to die that day, he treated everyone with love and respect. He was the best he could be. He made memories that will be with me forever. We need to live life to the fullest, and we need to be the best person we can be. I will never know if I’m going to die tomorrow so I need to be the best I can be and hopefully people will remember me that way. If you knew you were going to die this very day would you treat people differently? You shouldn’t have to because you should already be treating them the right way.
Memories are more important than money or other possessions. They remind you of all the moments you’ve had like going fishing with your grandpa or shopping with your mom, even the small little things like washing the car together. Memories never grow old and they are never forgotten. They make you laugh, cry, yet leave a smile on your face. All I can say is leave good memories when you leave. No one wants to know that people will be happy when you die. I don’t know how to say it in any other way, but be the best you can be and live your life to the fullest, leave memories.