Time Matters | Teen Ink

Time Matters

The brilliant sun shined in through my bedroom window. Its light gleaming off of my white walls, painting it gold. Opening my window, the sound of many birds came swooshing in. The sun floated like a shining island out in the middle of a sea of blue. On the other side of the evergreens were our neighbors. The rumbling of their car sent me tumbling out of my reverie. I heard my dad walking down the stairs while the smell of scrambled eggs wafted up them. I sat on the couch and watched television for part of the afternoon. When I was finished, the room had darkened considerably. The sun was on its way down, the sky already glowing pink. The day was already mostly gone. It would continue to drag on as I practiced Piano and did my homework. Eight whole hours had disappeared in the blink of an eye.

Now it was Christmas time, the nights grew longer and the days shorter. The festive season had arrived. All around were people milling about, trying to get some last minute holiday shopping in. The cold winds had blown in and fluffy white snow fell endlessly. Tomorrow would be the day of the Christmas party our friends were hosting. The day flew by as I waited in anticipation, for today to end and tomorrow to begin. Later I realized how foolish of me it was to wish this, for everyday is a treasure and a gift. Time is something that you do not want to waste.

Eventually the day came, once again I was foolish and just sat about waiting for three o’clock to come around so we could leave for the Christmas party. Around three ten, we arrived, they greeted us happily. The night was just setting in while we ate, talked, and laughed. We were having so much fun that when the time came to leave, we were surprised that it was already past one o’clock in the morning. Everything was already over. The party that I had waited twenty four hours for was over. That quick. The next day had begun.

It is the twenty-second of February now and I am still sometimes guilty of wasting precious time. I once heard a song. “Make the most of every minute, stop saving your best for last!” It carried a message. Not one of those pointless songs that just have people screaming their heads off. It said to me to be more careful with my time and to, like it said, make the most of every minute. And now, even though occasionally, I forget to, I try my best to make the most of the time I have been allotted.

on Mar. 22 2010 at 11:08 am
Beautiful! This is one of the best articles i have ever read. Your descriptions are amazing! I love it.

This is a beautiful description of several brief snapshots in the day of the life of an unnamed individual. Your descriptions brought an ordinary event to life. There are some minor grammar errors, but none of them detract from the flow of the narrative. Overall, this is a perfect example of how an ordinary event can be adapted to illustrate a concept few people consider on a regular basis.