USA Loses Gold Medal Game vs. Canada | Teen Ink

USA Loses Gold Medal Game vs. Canada

By Super man SILVER, Noodle, Wisconsin
Super man SILVER, Noodle, Wisconsin

VANCOUVER- In the Olympics in the qualifying rounds the USA defeated Canada 5-3. US became the one seed in the Olympic tournament.
And the tournament began. The US defeated Switzerland in the quarterfinals, 2-0 and Canada defeated Russia 7-3. The matchup everyone wanted was still alive. The US and Canada were still able to face off in the gold medal game. In the semi-finals the US defeated Finland by a score of 6-1 while the Canadians defeated Slovakia by a score of 3-2. Then it was time, the USA and the Canadians were going to face off in the finals If Canada won anything less than gold this was a monumental disappointment for them especially on their home soil in Vancouver. Canada had a 2-0 lead until a goal was scored in the 2nd period by Ryan Kesler, making it 2-1. Then, with only 24.4 seconds left in the game Zach Parise scored an empty net goal tying the game and sending it to overtime. Unfortunately, Sydney Crosby scored a goal in overtime winning the gold medal for Canada.
Sid the Kid Crosby’s overtime goal in the gold medal game between USA and Canada was deeply saddening for the US, Crosby's wrist shot through Ryan Miller's legs wrote a page in hockey history not soon to be forgotten. (Bleacher Report) The television ratings were third in hockey history with 27.6 million people, only behind the Miracle on Ice and the gold medal game against Finland in 1980.