What Matters | Teen Ink

What Matters

“It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony.”

-Benjamin Britten

Music. It can take you places, and completely change your attitude. It is so simple, yet so beautiful. All you have to do is listen. Music can help you through anything. It can lift you higher, and tear you down all at the same time.

The simple sound of an acoustic guitar calms me down, yet excites me at the same time… it’s something that cannot be expressed by words. The lyrics of a song only express something of this world. The sound was a gift from GOD, sent from the heavens to this earth, as something for only some of us to understand. Music isn’t always expressed by instruments; it can be something as simple as the waves rushing to the shore, growing bigger and bigger, then crashing.

It’s hard to believe that something so simple can bring people together everyday, and help them through hardship. It’s amazing how a simple sound can be such a powerful force. It’s quite astonishing that one song can bring together people of all different types of problems.

To me, music is what matters. Without music, I’m not sure where I would turn. I follow music, because it is what I care for. You need to follow your desires, your feelings, your passion. Any way you put it we need to follow what matters.