Jewish Traditions: Last Forever | Teen Ink

Jewish Traditions: Last Forever

February 9, 2010
By tatsi09 BRONZE, Warminster, Pennsylvania
tatsi09 BRONZE, Warminster, Pennsylvania
2 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Live, Laugh, Love"


“It takes an endless amount of history to make even one little tradition.” (Henry James). The Jewish religion is one of the oldest religions on this earth, therefore, there is an adequate amount of history that comes together to make a cornucopia of traditions. As a young Jewish adult, I have come to realize the great importance of the many traditions that my parents, grandparents, and friends follow; in order to prove their faith for the Jewish religion. And due to the fact that there are so many different traditions that I find important in Judaism, and there are so many to choose from, I find one of them most significant. A tradition that follows from generation to generation in my family, is not to marry someone outside of the Jewish Religion.

“40 days before you were born, God chose a soul-mate for you” (Torah). In the Torah it is said that your soul-mate is chosen by God even before you are born, and the importance of finding your soul-mate in your life time is extremely vital. In the Torah, G-d states the significance of marrying someone of the same religious faith, in order to keep our religion alive and continually growing. We are the “chosen people” and therefore, enemies have been trying to eliminate our religion for centuries. Beginning, in the times of the Romans when the leaders of the Roman empire did not agree with Judaist beliefs, continuing through the time of Hitler and the Holocaust, and still going on today with Muslim extremists; all around the world. There are individuals all around the world and at all times who wish to eliminate Judaism from the globe, and it is our responsibility to restore our population and allow for it to continue to thrive, adding fully-blooded Jews to our population.

Marrying someone with the same faith, not only helps the growth of the Jewish population
around the world, it also can actually assist to ease problems in a marriage and/or household. Whether you absolutely agree with it or not, Religion plays a big role in how you feel about certain situations and how you act and deal with problems and decision making throughout your entire life. Miscommunications and misinterpretations lead to arguments, that later turn into full blown fights and at times break up families. Also, the choice of how to raise your children, which faith they would follow, and how to make decisions about things like their schooling and deeper religious activities would cause major arguments and make the children of the family misunderstand and feel confused at many times. Marrying someone of the Jewish faith is not only a noble tradition to follow, but also a tradition that can help secure and stabilize a family, preventing not needed miscommunications and arguments.


There are many different types of traditions and beliefs that the Jewish religion follows. Starting with lighting the candles every Friday night for Sabbath, to fasting at Yom Kippur, and to playing Driedel every Hanukkah. I believe that out of all of the traditions, the most important of all is to marry someone of the Jewish faith, and raise full-blooded Jewish children, in order to ensure that the Jewish religion will continue to cultivate in great numbers. If that tradition is passed on, the rest will follow along with it.


The author's comments:
This piece includes my true thoughts and oppinions about marrying someone that has the same religion that you do.