Guilty as Charged

Have you ever thought about the things that worry most Americans today? Let's see; cars, money, status...although some of us do worry more practically about our families, and our friends.
We Americans live in the greatest country in the World, yet we seem to worry the most about ridiculous things.
Today, in English class, we had to jot down things that worry us and then write them up on the board. When I had returned to my seat from writing my opinions on the board I looked to see what everyone else had written. One kid had put the word "food." When the class asked why he chose to put food on the board he said he was hungry and was sick and tired of having lunch third wave because it "took to long." This remark sparked a class discussion about what everyone wanted to eat when they got home. Some answers included; chips, candy, crackers, etc. To which my teacher and I responded that we, as a country, think differently about food then any other country.
Most Americans are worried about what they're going to eat at the movies, at the restaurant, at the game, or wherever else Americans can find a place to eat, while people in third-world countries are wondering IF they will eat at ALL today, or this WEEK.
I know of a Holocaust survivor who freely shares his opinions when Americans make stupid comments. One day his grand-daughter decided to complain about her mashed potatoes, you can imagine how well that went over...he went on to explain that in his particular work camp, prisoners were given one raw potato when it was time to eat. Lesson to be learned, stop worrying about how much you will eat, or what you will eat, just be grateful you are given the opportunity to eat.

In French class the room was a little colder than usual, and my ears were bleeding at the simultaneous complaints. So, I sat there slightly chilly thinking about my father, in Afghanistan, seeing people literally FREEZE TO DEATH. Come on people, we have heaters, and when those fail we have clothes. Hats, gloves, sweatshirts, pants, jackets, socks, these things all keep us warm! These people don't have heaters, hell, they are lucky if they have clothes! Items like shoes are of great value in parts of Africa and the Middle East.

Every American, rich or poor, black or white or purple can learn from this. We should start living like we really appreciate what we have! So, I'm not singling anyone out, we are all guilty of taking things for granted, but let's try a little harder America! (and the rest of the world)

swimstar28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this. Times a gazillion! You are so good at having a conversation with your reader, a really good one. You plant the idea of change into the readers head and you keep it there, and with the last line you convince them to rise above and stop complaining!

jackieee105 replied...
Feb. 24, 2010 at 12:11 am
Thank you so much. Most of my teachers always tell me I have a very strong voice throughout my work. Thanks for the rating and comment, please share this piece with your friends.