Animal Testing: The Cruelest Torture

We all know that sound: an animal crying out in pain, that high-pitched shriek of such an innocent creature enduring unbearable suffering. Each year, researchers torture to death millions of animals “in the name of science.” Yet, these experiments are the least scientific practice that exists. Animal testing is heartless, unnecessary, and ineffective and should be declared completely illegal in the United States.

Experimentation on animals is extremely inhumane. Every day, severely cruel testing methods are used on animals from mice to monkeys. “These animals suffer and die alone, without ever experiencing an ounce of kindness, so chemicals in products like shampoo, makeup, deodorant, toothpaste, and household cleaners can be tested,” says supermodel Layla Kayleigh in an article from Gale Group, “Poker Pro Magazine and PETA Team Up to Fight Animal Cruelty.” Researchers use repulsive tactics on the animals -- from injecting them with cancerous tumors to see how long they can survive to deliberately denying them water to use thirst as a motivation for them to complete lab tests. The tests are merciless and disgusting, and your common sense and compassion should be enough for you to want them to end.

Not only are these experiments heartless and sadistic, they also are unnecessary. Researchers could use many different scientifically accurate methods instead of animal testing. One such method is Corrositex. According to the article, “InVitro International Posts 3rd Consecutive Profitable Quarter,” it is used for “evaluating potential skin corrosivity and irritation from chemicals and chemical formulations. Corrositex is the first such non-animal test method product endorsed by a U.S. government body. The panel review suggests that Corrositex testing can fully replace the use of animals for testing corrosiveness and irritation.” Animal testing is not necessary because we have different practices that can be used instead.

Animal experimentation is not only unnecessary, but it is also ineffective. Animals are not the same as humans; they react differently to drugs than people do. Testing drugs on animals can often be catastrophic, if not deadly. The article, “Animal Testing Should Stop” by Bonnie Erbe, states, “The Food & Drug Administration tells us that 92% of drugs tested safe and effective in animals fail in human trials…. the blockbuster arthritis drug Vioxx from Merck killed more Americans than died in the Vietnam War, yet it was deemed safe in eight studies using six animal species…. conversely, safe and effective drugs such as aspirin, acetaminophen, and penicillin cause severe toxicities in animal tests.” These tests cannot be considered a scientific method if 92% of the time they are inaccurate; this practice is risking human lives as well.

However, it is unfair to say that people have not benefitted from animal experimentation. Treatments such as insulin to treat diabetes and the vaccine for polio were created because of animal testing. Animals used to be vital in science decades ago, but not any more—we have many different, safer, techniques to use instead now. Mark Twain said, “I am not interested to know whether vivisection [experimenting on living animals] produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't ... The pain which it inflicts upon unconsenting animals is the basis of my enmity toward it, and it is to me sufficient justification of the enmity without looking further." No amount of research is worth the suffering of these animals.

Animal testing is merciless, not needed, and inaccurate. No living being should have to undergo these horrors. How would you feel if your pet was subjected to these tortures? Human lives also are at risk when animals are used in testing. You can find out which brands use animal testing in their products by going to www.caringconsumer.com. Please buy only cruelty-free products.

CDAGR81 said...
Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm:
Guess what? 90 percent of medications approved for human use after animal testing later proved ineffective or harmful to humans in clinical trials.

UltimateJesusFreakThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 19, 2010 at 8:48 pm:
Ok, I get your point and I hate using animals for stupid reasons (like for make-up testing and what-not), and people who abuse them, but think about this: How many tests that people have performed on animals have saved lives? Both human and animal? Have they helped progress medicine? Making our lives healthier? Have they? If no medicines were used to test animals, then I'm sorry and continue. But if medicines have been tested on animals and lives have been saved, then ask yourself this: is ... (more »)

GoGreen123 replied...
Feb. 22, 2010 at 7:06 pm :
But the problem is is that it isn't a few animals it's millions and millions of animals every YEAR dying. Did you know 50 mice/rats are killed every time someone gets botox to make sure they have the right amount? I am very concerned about testing medicines on animals because it isn't accurate and we, humans, could get hurt. But testing for stupid things such as mascara, nail polish, ANYTHING cosmetic or for household cleaners that is just disgusting. Do you know the difference... (more »)

ZadaRox101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 22, 2010 at 7:21 pm :
I understand your point and as I said with make-up, it's stupid to test on animals and with the whole botox thing that's pure vanity and idiotic (people age and get wrinkles....let's MOVE ON PEOPLE! That's life!). But when it's medicine and something that actually makes our lives better (for good, not vanity), animals lives compare no where near as close to animals. But, believe me, find another legitimate way to test chemicals and medicines and what-not, I'm all fo... (more »)

Feb. 22, 2010 at 7:22 pm :
P.S, I'm not yelling at you either, just showing the other side...

GoGreen123 replied...
Feb. 24, 2010 at 2:43 pm :
Look up what they do to these animals. They just don't want to waste any money to buy these machines because, let's face it, animals are free labor. And these machines include fake stomachs that accurately depict what would happen if a human injected a chemical or a mix of chemicals. We also have fake skin that can be used for what would happen if and acid or something else were spilled on skin. For kids in school, dissection is completely unnecessary because there are computer gen... (more »)

Mar. 1, 2010 at 12:03 pm :
Ok, all I'm saying is an animal is not as important as a human life if we're saving them. If we're not, then stop. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's how the world works. That's how God made it. I love animals as much as the next guy, but I also know an animals place. There below humans all the way and if they can be used to save a life, so be it. If they're not saving lives, then that's cruelty and abuse and it needs to stop. Than... (more »)

Mar. 1, 2010 at 12:04 pm :
Yes, actually I do have pets, 17 of them, but that doesn't change my opinion on the subject. Sorry.

GoGreen123 replied...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 3:07 pm :
But the matter still remains that they aren't needed to save lives because we have much more advanced technology! Companies/organizations do not have to test on animals! Would you give up any of your animals to be tortured to death for an organization that could much more accurately test on a machine that has been proven in many tests to be much more effective?

Mar. 1, 2010 at 5:04 pm :
Like I said if there's different ways go for it....

GoGreen123 replied...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 8:07 pm :
So then you agree that animal testing is wrong because it is unnecessary and can be dangerous to humans as well so the animals are being tortured for nothing?

Mar. 1, 2010 at 8:12 pm :
I'm saying animal testing has been proven for legitimate scientific reasons. But for things like make-up testing it's stupid. And if there is another way, do it. But if not, for medical reasons, I'm all for it.

GoGreen123 replied...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 7:44 pm :
That is the whole reason I wrote this article is because there are many different proven to be more effective ways to test medicines and other medical needs on, yet the companies don't want to spend any money because animals are free labor.

Mudskipper replied...
May 12, 2011 at 10:57 am :
You say that it's so easy for these companies to purchase often, let's face it, VERY expensive equiptment to do these tests. Many of these companies probably couldn't afford to do research at all if they had to spend massive amounts on machines. As a followup to ZadaRox101's point, which matters more? The life of a human, or the life of an animal? If humans die to save the life of ANY animal, that is sinful. Excessive cruelty is wrong, granted. But as a whole, animal testing is appropriate and j... (more »)

TheJustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 13, 2011 at 12:11 pm :
I completely agree.  

awesome always replied...
Jan. 31, 2012 at 4:06 pm :
I like this article ALOT because animals were made by God. So why destroy them? It is crule and unnessary. Those poor animals die without reason. Get put in a cage and die. Plus, the animals have no choice but to deal with it.