Noting Should Come Free | Teen Ink

Noting Should Come Free

January 10, 2010
By Matt Scott SILVER, Cypress, Texas
Matt Scott SILVER, Cypress, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

How would you feel if you didn’t get accepted to a university just because you weren’t the right race or gender? More thank likely, you would be furious and be upset that you couldn’t control what didn’t get you into that school. The plan tries to help racism but actually makes it worse. It doesn’t make any sense why somebody can get extra points for free. When other students that are not minorities actually work for every point they deserve. That is why I don’t believe in Affirmative Action based on race and gender.
Fellow Americans fight and stand up every day for minorities being discriminated against. Nevertheless, here in our own country, the tables have turned. Now, the non-minorities are being discriminated against through affirmative action. The non-minorities are being left out just because of being Caucasian, which is racism. So instead of making destroying racism your building it up more. Affirmative action is utterly racist towards non-minorities because they are not accepted due to the color of their skin. David Sacks and Peter Thiel say, “This same push for ‘diversity’ also has led Stanford to create racially segregated dormitories, racially segregated freshman orientation programs, racially segregated graduation ceremonies and curricular requirements in race theory and gender studies” (Sacks, Thiel 1). Colleges say they do this to keep a diverse campus, which is absurd that makes the college look bad by saying minorities cant get in by themselves and they need extra help. When trying to help minorities they are offending their intelligence.
Affirmative action is trying to help all minorities, which is wicked because not all minorities need help getting into a college. They are just as smart as the non-minorities that don’t receive the extra points. Those students don’t need it but they receive it for the wrong purpose that affirmative action represents.
Its not just minorities that are receiving these points it’s also all females. It doesn’t matter what race the female is she gets the points. You have to be kidding! Why in the world is that necessary? That’s a question I cant answer there is no reason that women are less capable of getting into college than man.
When minorities get accepted into these colleges. It’s highly plausible that other students might suspect that the minority student doesn’t belong here and got into the college with help and the non-minorities didn’t. This will make the tensions between the races worse and possibly more violent. This is all due to dreadful act of affirmative action and the outlandish policies.
Affirmative action is prejudiced towards non-minorities it restricts the student’s achievements and academic stats. The colleges should accept students based on achievements made in high school because it shows what the student really has to offer. That’s what high school student’s work for. They spend all there time making themselves better on paper so that they can get into college. They become more mature by understanding that you have work and dedicate time to what you want. Affirmative action is captivating these students morals by saying that a person that didn’t work as hard as you get more points just because of there race or gender. Which is unfair and it’s going to show the student that there’s no point working so hard if you can’t get it. There is no point at working for something you want when you know that the other person getting it for free.
In conclusion, affirmative action should be based on you student achievements, academic standings, test scores, and the overall students morals. It makes the world a more violent place when decrementing a race rather black or white it doesn’t matter. Overall affirmative action in many ways is wrong and shouldn’t be acceptable in this great country when we strive on working for what we want and not accept what is freely given.