Friends for life? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Unknown
   We had been best friends ever since second grade. If we wanted to see each other allwe had to do was walk down the hall, and give our special knock. Mine was threeknocks and a whistle, Sylvee's was a swift kick to the foot of the door followedby "Claud, open up!" We went to the same school, shared the sameimaginary friend, and swore on Barbies that we would always be bestfriends.

Years passed and our conversations graduated from stuffed animalsto boys. Our circle of friends also changed. Sylvee started hanging out withpreps and I with jocks.

Most weekends Sylvee would invite her friends fora sleepover and only if I showed up to ask her to go to the park did I find out Ihadn't even been invited. I resented her new friends. I had kept my oath that Iwould not find a better friend, but apparently she hadn't.

Eventually westopped speaking. I really missed her. I missed our late-night talks abouteverything from clothes to books. She was the wild one who was always ready toget her hand into things, and I was more laid-back and often talked some senseinto her. We made the perfect pair.

By our eighth-grade graduation we wereacting like strangers. I knew from my mom that she would be going to a differenthigh school and was moving to the edge of the city, far from me. After graduationI was alone and started thinking about why our relationship went wrong. We hadbeen inseparable. I needed answers, and Sylvee was the only one who could givethem to me.

As I crossed the hall, childhood memories flashing with everystep, and knocked three times followed by my whistle. The door opened and we juststared at each other. I finally broke the ice and said quietly, "Whathappened?"

Then we both burst into tears and hugged each other. Wewent to my place and made a bowl of popcorn that got salted with our tears. Thestory unfolded. Her group of friends had pressured her not to be my friendbecause they didn't like us being so close. They also told Sylvee that they woulddrop her if she didn't, and she wouldn't have any friends, including me. Shebelieved them, but now felt like a fool. She asked if we could keep in touch andmaybe pick up where we'd left off.

I told her that would be impossiblebecause I was so angry we had lost years of friendship over something so trivial.But I realized it wasn't her fault, or mine, and I finally forgave the girlswho'd broken us apart. If one of us had just spoken up sooner, we could have keptour friendship. That taught me to speak up when I know there's a problem, ratherthan avoid it as I did for a number of years.

Today Sylvee and I stillchat once a month, although sometimes our conversations are a little strainedbecause we don't want to reveal our problems as freely as we once did. When wevisit each another, we pause like we did when I knocked on her door aftergraduation, and stare into each others' eyes silently asking, What happened?

N8wrlder02 said...
Thank  you for writing this. I need to catch on with my long time friend. Ours is a story like yours.

Precious_15 said...
I like this. i have a similar story.. ill post it soon. check out my work when u get the chance. :)

hellokittylover said...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 11:38 am:
u should realy know your friends and always make sure there the right ones and u never want to have a bad friend becauae that could lead to something maybe not good. if you dont have the right friends, then u dont have anyone. because everyone needs a freind.

jwow21 said...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 11:36 am:
You should always know who your true friends are and never ditch your true friends. Friends last a lifetime if you guys really try to last. Otherwise you guys will go your different worlds.

Austin H. said...
May 29, 2009 at 4:35 pm:
people loss friends and gain them but there is alwas new people to meet find a new best friend that U like to have fun with amd it will b ok

WriterFanaticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 7:53 pm :
Nonsense. True friends are gifts, hard to come by. If you let your true friend go you  are betraying yourself. I admire you so much for doing that!

MickeyH replied...
Sept. 20, 2010 at 6:29 pm :
I wish I had your courage. I am having the same problem with my best friend- best friends since we were four- FOUR YEARS OLD!! Even though she's a grade above me- birthday cut offs and all- we were inseparable for years and then she came to my school! She found new friends, hardly ever invited me over and almost never talked to me. I felt so left out. I never did anything because I thought she would come around like she always did when we were kids. Now she's in high school and it's too late to ... (more »)

Sept. 20, 2010 at 7:16 pm :

If she really is your friend, truly is, then talk to her about it! If she blows you off, be patient and keep at it. But sometimes....sometimes no matter how badly you want to be their good friend they cannot return the favor. And you must let her go if that happens. It is the hardest thing in the world, and i don't agree with Austin H. because true friends are rare! But....sometimes fate has other plans

GOOD LUCK+)

MickeyH replied...
Sept. 20, 2010 at 8:08 pm :
Thanks WriterFanatic :)

Sept. 20, 2010 at 9:04 pm :
Haha no problem! On a selfish note look at my work and rate it! Ill do the same with yours. Haha best of luck +)

Sept. 20, 2010 at 9:05 pm :
AH YOU ARE NEW!!!! Welcome!! I like your quote!

MickeyH replied...
Sept. 21, 2010 at 7:27 pm :
thanks!! When this story finally publishes, I hope you'll get the chance to read it. It really defines my style of writing. :) imma check yours out right now