Love | Teen Ink

Love MAG

Ringggg.I used to hear this sound at exactly 6:28 every morning.

I would gothrough the same routine every day: press the snooze button and roll out of bedat the next ring. But one rainy morning there was a slight change.

I hadbeen up late studying for a chemistry test and dozed off sometime with the bookright next to my head, still wearing my clothes and forgetting to set myalarm.

I was awoken by my mother at five minutes to seven. I was instantlystressed. Not only would those 15 minutes of extra sleep mess up my dailyroutine, but I also didn't want to be late for fear of getting a detention. Ijumped out of bed and took the fastest shower possible. I was in such a rush thatI ran into my mom several times as she was getting ready for work. Every time shesmiled and apologized for getting in my way, while I barely acknowledged her, andwent on getting ready.

When I was finally ready to leave the house, Igrabbed a chocolate-chip muffin and ran out the door. As I was getting into mycar, my mom was getting into hers. As I sped out of the driveway, she yelled,"Have a good day. I love you!" I shot her a glance andreplied,"Yeah, whatever."

On the five-minute drive to school Ididn't think much about the events of the morning. But during the chemistry testmy mind kept wandering to my exchange with my mother in the driveway. I was notmy usual friendly self, certainly, but I wasn't that mean, was I?

At lunch my mind began to wander again. I thought about my mom's smilingface, and how I'd been nothing but rude to her. I began to feel horrible abouthow I acted. My mother, who does nothing but nice things for me even when I amnot so appreciative - I didn't even have the patience to be polite to her. Istarted to think about all the things she does for me. The muffin I had grabbed?She'd made it for me the day before just because I'd asked her to. I rememberedthat my mom was the one who woke me up when I'd been too careless to set myalarm. A million things came to my mind that she does for me day in and dayout.

The rest of the day passed in a blur as I tried to decide what todo about my mom. I had to baby-sit after school, but had a little time. I decidedto go to my mom's work and bring her a cup of coffee.

She was totallysurprised. "What's this for?" she asked.

I smugly replied,"Nothing, Mom, I just thought you would enjoy it." I smiled and walkedout the door.

When I got home from babysitting I talked to my mom about myday at school. I quickly added, "You know, Mom, I really appreciateeverything you do for me. I just want you to know that sometimes I take you forgranted and I shouldn't." As I walked up the stairs I shouted,"Good-night, I love you."

"Good night! Remember to set youralarm, and I love you, too," she called after me.

As I lay in bed, Ithought about how lucky I really am and what a wonderful mom I have. I alsorealized that one of the most important values in my life is love. It's notsomething you should take for granted. My mom loves me very much and shows thatin many ways every day. I made a promise to myself that day to keep the value oflove in my mind. It helps me get through difficult things when I remember I havelove to fall back on.

on Oct. 8 2015 at 8:03 am
X-WhiteRose-X GOLD, Brashear, Missouri

"Everybody is a Genius. But If You Judge a Fish by Its Ability to Climb a Tree, It Will Live Its Whole Life Believing that It is Stupid."

-Albert Einstein

I'm not one to usually post comments. The article really has to pull at me and make a point to me before I will say anything. I also don't usually read too many articles on here. Not because they aren't good but simply because there is an overwhelming amount. It was just a random happening that I clicked on your article. I'm glad I did. We often take advantage of our loved ones and I too am guilty of not noticing what my Mom does for me. This article was amazing and I'll happily agree you have talent.

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

Wow! You have a wonderful mom! And, oh, it's nice that you realize that value. :)

LoveLikeWoe DIAMOND, LeSueur, MN, Minnesota

Whoever laughs first has the sickest mind.

Very good. Awesome!!