Ha Ha This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Unknown
So I was going to try to make this an essay ...
That way I could voicesomething amazing and sooo close to my heart and also check
something off my"To Do" list.
However, after trying to come up with introductions and tryingto succeed in beginning a
fabulous essay, I decided I would rather just writea journal entry.
So, the other day I realized something ratherincredible.
I think it was a combination of reading something about a personwho grew up washing dishes
since he was 12, didn't go to college because hisparents couldn't afford it, and spent the rest
of his life doing some sort ofsomething, and watching "Baby Story" on TLC one day while I was
eating myafter school snack,
I saw the doctor delivering the baby, and thought, Wow!That would be amazing to be able to do
that with the rest of my life.
I amnot sure if it was my subconscious or some voice whispering from behind the sofa,but I heard:
"Megan, why don't you?"
I kind of chuckled, but then Irealized I had no response.
Why don't I?
Why can't I?
I can!
I feellike an infant looking in the mirror, who is realizing for the first time thatthe person staring
back is actually her own beautiful face. It's something Ihave always seen, and have stared at
the possibility, but not until that daydid I realize I can do it! I figured out the reflection. I stared
insidemyself and realized I have all the possibilities imaginable within mygrasp.
So many times I have mindlessly thought how nice it would be to have ahouse in the
country, or to travel to the other side of the world. I havewished I had a basement rec room and
a scrapbook from a trip to England whereI stood on the ground my mother grew up on.
But guess what?
I am only 17...
I have choices! If I want to be a plumber in Potboom, Idaho, I can!
IfI want to be a teacher in Waukesha, Wisconsin, I can!
If I want to go to medschool, study psychology and international relations, take Chinese,run,
continue photography and try sushi for the first time, I can!
I canlive my life! I am only 17
and
When I am 56 or 102, I can still be what Iwant to be.
This realization is like finding a key to unlock everyopportunity
I can!
You can!
We all can!
Let's "set ourselves free.When we make the first move, the process will begin."
Let's go!

EmilyMichelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this piece! One complaint: the words that are occasionally typed likethis with no spaces are somewhat distracting. Your writing is great though!

SamiLynn said...
Sept. 2, 2010 at 12:16 am:
is there something purposeful about the words that occasionally have no space between them or is that an accident?

magic-esi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 14, 2010 at 4:04 pm:
This is so good! It is so true, too. Wonderful article!

kaseyparks said...
how inspiring!