My Daughter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I've been through a lot. I've had millions of ups and downs - so many that I don't know where to begin. I didn't find anything to believe in until I had my daughter. She has shown me so much. My daughter has taught me that responsibility is an important part of my life. She has also made me realize that just by being in this world, I can make a difference in others' lives - I can encourage them to go for what's right and not take the wrong path.

Life was given to me and now I have given life myself. I've created another human being who is three years old. Now that I have her, I really know what the odds are when you are a teen and become pregnant. I've also realized what I need to do with myself and how I should carry myself as a teen mom. People already look at me as a standing disappointment.

On one level I don't care what people say, but then again, I do care how people see me. You can look at me the way you want, but you still won't figure me out because I'm me - there is no other person in this world who thinks like me, acts like me, or who can be me.

The most important things in life when you have a child are love, respect, happiness, knowledge and power. Without these, I can't achieve. I am encouraging myself to stay on track and keep my GPA at 3.5. I am trying to reach a goal for me and my child. I want her to look at me and see how smart I am. I don't want her to see me as just a woman who had a child at a young age. I want the finest things for her and me. I want other teen moms to know they can succeed, too.

Words of wisdom can get you places in life: take a chance. Take a chance in life; take a chance in getting to know yourself. When you read this you may not think I know what I'm talking about, but trust me, never judge a person by his or her cover, or try to fall in line with a line that's crooked.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

kaylaboo101 said...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 9:20 am:
this is so sweet and really deep it is so beautiful