Stutter | Teen Ink

Stutter MAG

My name is M-m-m-adison. That has always been a particularlydifficult word for my lips to form, especially on unexpected occasions. In my mind I know exactlywhat I want to say and when and how I want to say it, but every now and then my words stumble outin repetitive prolonged syllables accompanied by grimacing and pursed lips in a futile attempt to“push” the words out.

I have coped with stuttering my entire life, a problemthat often goes unnoticed by those around me since I possess this speech impediment to a verylimited degree and experience it only in certain situations. However, it has wielded the sameimpact on my life as if I had it to its full extent. There have been times when I have wanted torip my vocal cords from my throat in frustration, not understanding why I cannot speak with easelike those around me.

For many years I have worn a mask, one giving the appearance offluency and normalcy. I’ve made a relatively successful attempt to hide my stutter, assumingthe world had no desire to hear flawed or imperfect speech. I’ve kept it hidden by avoidingsituations where I run the risk of stuttering. I have always striven for perfection in all otherareas of my life, futilely attempting to compensate for my problem.

I exhausted myself.The obsessive drive that fueled my determination to shut out and ignore a festering disabilitystarted to corrode me from the inside out. The lies and deception usually strangled and suffocatedme more than my stuttering ever did during a block or period of disfluency. Denial was the crutchupon which I rested, an unstable one that finally gave way this past year. I reached a breakingpoint, unable to withstand the pressure of pretending to be somebody I was not. After years ofrefusing to seek help, I was forced to acknowledge that there was in fact, a problem.

Myspeech therapist extended her hand to me, hoisting me up. She is a woman who stutters severelyherself but is unashamed and unapologetic when speaking at her achingly slow pace. She stumblesover certain words and at times experiences difficulties, yet perseveres through eachsentence.

Entering her office that first time, we watched a videotape of her giving a speechin a college class, neck craned and grimacing, stuttering uncontrollably for ten minutes straight.It reminded me of me. I had never identified with anyone like I did with her in that moment. Idiscovered that I really wasn’t alone after all.

Her office is a sanctuary, a placewhere I will not be judged for my imperfect speech. It’s a safe haven where I won’treceive curious or impolite stares from those who don’t understand what it’s like tostruggle with the simplest daily task - a place where I can stutter to my heart’s content.

I’ve finally found my way. I accept that I have this disability and consider myselfblessed to be a stutterer. I feel privileged to be among those who are disabled because we are ableto appreciate certain abilities normally taken for granted. We know what it’s like at timesto find ourselves without them.

on Apr. 1 2013 at 8:26 am
rachelchace DIAMOND, Stratford, Connecticut

"If everyone were perfect, Individuality would be extinct." -Rachel Chace (me)

this can definately be used as your college essay! nice job. :) congrats on getting published!!!!

John Hase said...
You focus too much on blunt imagery and menial details.  Your essay (that I interpreted to be about how being a stutterer empowers you) misses the point dramatically.  The first time that you mention that you have benefitted from being a stutterer is the second sentence of the conclusion.  This results in the entire support of your central claim being in the last two sentences of your paper.  I suggest that you should change your direction from focusing on how it has helped develop a stong sense of gratitude to how you have come to cope with this condition and how you have learned more about yourself from accepting it.  Overall, not a bad paper.  It has a lot of potential.

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

Wow that was really good I loved the opening sentence!!!!!  I have a very slight stutter I only stutter if I get mad or if I'm nervous.  That was really good though!!!!! ;))

Delanafan4ever BRONZE, Columbus, Ohio

Never give in, Never back down

imspirational!!!!!!!!!

on Jun. 26 2009 at 3:00 am
GreenDayFan SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

"Every story has an end, but in life, every ending is just a new beginning."
-Uptown Girls

one word: inspirational!!!

spri123 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 24 2009 at 1:23 am
spri123 BRONZE, Sugar Land, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
wow, this reminds me soo much of me. i stutter too, and i hate it soo much, but speech therapy has made me feel better.

Wow. That's really good. So inspirational!

glass rose said...
on Dec. 21 2008 at 3:11 am
wow this peice is amazingly writen. were did you find the inspiration?