Three Values This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Every day, life is made and lost. Every day, life goes on. Every day we experience some of the most important parts of life and may not even realize it: love, generosity, and perseverance. These values aren’t just important to me, they make the world what it is.

Scientists say that the gravitational force makes the world turn, but some people say that love makes it go around. Love can be found anywhere: in families, friends, even complete strangers. Even if you can’t see it, you know it’s there.

Love may connect people all over the world, but what would the world be without generosity? Whether after a national disaster like Hurricane Katrina or a school fund raiser, one thing is certain - it is better to give than to receive. Generosity is found everywhere and whether it’s a large or small act, it makes a difference. Those who rushed to New Orleans’s aid after Hurricane Katrina were not just donating time and money but their hearts by showing how much they cared about strangers in their time of need. Those who can’t make such a dramatic gesture can help in other ways, whether helping someone up when they fall or donating to a cause. Most of all, generosity is not something you need any qualifications for, and no matter what you do, it can make a difference. Sometimes, though, it takes effort to be generous, which leads us to perseverance.

Founding a country, riding a bike, or finishing an essay, these are all accomplished with perseverance. We wouldn’t be the United States if it weren’t for the brave soldiers who fought, through thick and thin, for our independence. Perseverance is the one thing that can help us achieve whatever we want. It is what helps scientists discover cures for diseases, and athletes become champions. You may fail, but every time you make a mistake, that’s one less to make the next time.

There is an infinite number of things I value, but without love, generosity, and perseverance, I just don’t think that my life or the world would be the way it is.

Crunchman99 said...
It's very well written and sincere in its message as well. I agree with you wholeheartedly in the fact that a society cannot exist without generosity, that families which make up society cannot exist without love, and that perserverence is the one quality that keeps us from failing, since not trying in the first place is the only true failure.  TLDR, I like it! Keep it up.

liv101 said...
This is an incrdible piece of work!  You are very talented and was straight to the point.

Emerald said...

Your a terrific writer. I hope your readers are truely moved by your peice. Keep it up.

:-)

softly_sleeping said...
Great work! I reaaly loved the intro. It hooked me immediately :)

SurferGirl13 said...
This is strong, and i agree!

tasharocks said...
Dec. 19, 2008 at 10:22 am
that was great writing and i agree the world would not turn without love.