Beauty in the Ugly This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Last year I was assigned to a program for two weeks after drinking at a school event. It was a mistake I regret deeply and I can say that I learned a lot from my ensuing punishment. Although I wish it had never happened, I must admit that I’d much prefer to learn now that crime doesn’t pay than to wait until I’m not surrounded by family and a caring school staff.

It was my first time to wade into the depths of alcohol, and I’ve vowed to remain on the dry beach of life after I naively gulped that falsely enticing liquid. However, I’ve learned that mistakes can be positive if we learn from them. During my two weeks out of school, my mother made me read a book on the evidence of God’s existence. Even though I already believed in God, she wanted to make certain that I would never forget that there is a higher power than even school officials and family to whom I must answer.

If I had not been caught, I might have continued drinking and succumbing to peer pressure. To the contrary, my suspension from school and punishment by my family placed a barrier on that rocky road, and I did an immediate U-turn back to an alcohol-free life. I’m very grateful for that; I learned early that I have nothing to gain from drinking, but I have a lot to lose.

I have no doubt that my punishment stands as an example to many and I’m grateful for that. A misstep can be transformed into a beautiful dance if we glean the wisdom that will keep us from tripping again. I know from experience that it’s usually the feet of our peers that keep trying to trip us in our walk here on Earth.

I could try to explain away my actions last year but all I wish to express is that I was wrong to drink. I need to learn to take a firm stand. Furthermore, I cannot turn a blind eye to my friends who drink. I hope to draw upon my experience to help them see the folly of drinking. A genuine person will always stand out from the crowd, and that person should not stand out because she or he is intoxicated.

So, I am grateful for learning one of the principle laws of life early: alcohol and our bloodstream are an explosive combination! I was punished for my mistake, and now I am leaving that incident in the past. Still, I must always remember it, for “those who don’t remember the past are destined to repeat it.”

EmilyMichelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
First off, I loved the figurative language in this piece. Also, after all of the negativity about underage drinking we hear on the news, it is good to hear about someone who has learned from their mistakes. This is great!

starstruck15 said...
Jan. 13, 2011 at 10:41 am:
Thanks for sharing that because it's nice to hear people 'fess up to their mistakes. Congrats:)

jennam8 said...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 3:16 pm:
This is a great accomplishment and life lessons are great pieces of writing for others. I'm sure this story has touched others, and has maybe changed them for the better :)

OneGodForever32 said...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 7:58 pm:
Wow, this a really amazing piece, and I'm glad you made the right choice!

music said...
i thought this peice is awesome.
it does take time to heal after you once did it but you will never forget it cause if you do you will end up doing it again.and its good that you learned from your mistake and you wont to it again.

[S]ky[R]ifle replied...
Dec. 13, 2009 at 2:02 pm :
um, actually it was a pretty dry piece of work, no offense, it didn't catch my attention at all

[S]ky[R]ifle replied...
Dec. 13, 2009 at 2:05 pm :
But don't get me wrong, it was a great piece, and you made the right choice!
Congrats

horseluva said...
i am glad that you made the right decision!!!!!=-)this was an awesome piece.keep on writing!!!!!=-)

mezzie'scats265 said...
I liked it. It was a serious piece of writng of course, but it teaches you that under-aged drinking id=s bad, and there is consequences

Ray D. said...
Mar. 28, 2009 at 10:59 pm:
Dude, that's pretty cool. Way to go lol. I loved the story, keep writing.

x0xKendallx0x* said...
Feb. 17, 2009 at 11:03 pm:
I liked this story a lot. It shows that things happen for a good reason.Its and amazing stofy , i truly think this is right .No one or nothing can top off god.

xoAubreyox said...
This is an amazing story. You are not the only person on Earth who has gone through these kinds of things. At least you made the right decision by not drinking anymore. Some make the wrong decisions and end up doing something harmful to themselves or others. AMAZING!

motownfan said...
Aug. 12, 2008 at 10:28 am:
i am happy for you for being aware of such things in life and i wish you all the best for your future.mice essay ny the way