The Inanimate Tree | Teen Ink

The Inanimate Tree

January 13, 2010
By Dan Justin Simpelo GOLD, New City, New York
Dan Justin Simpelo GOLD, New City, New York
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As I sat alone in the balcony, observing the world, a peaceful sensation came over me. But at the same time, I felt very lonely. As cars flew past me and as people walked by, it seemed as if the world was moving on without me, just leaving me behind to forever stay on the spot where I was: to eventually die without accomplishing anything in my life. Time slowed down, and everything seemed like a dream, a figment of my imagination. As I spent my time alone, nature became my only companion. The trees rustling, the cold wind blowing against my skin, the blue sky pleasing my eyes, and the birds chirping gave me comfort in the midst of my loneliness. At that quiet moment, I separated myself from society and instead associated with nature. I felt as if I was no longer human and imagined myself as an inanimate tree, staying in one spot while observing the defective civilization we call our human society. I began to question human behavior as I observed eccentricities I have never seen before but certainly had always been there. As a group of people passed by, talking and laughing with each other, I thought of why humans enjoy each other’s presence. I was perplexed with why there are certain activities which people enjoy as a group but can never appreciate when alone. As cars passed by, I wondered why people seem to feel the need of keeping their lives busy and full of pressure, when they could just give up their unnecessary desires and enjoy an obligation- free life.

But after everything, I came to realize one thing- I could not live in solitude. Although society is full of flaws, I am still a part of it. We, as imperfect humans, could help each other strive for perfection, although we will never attain it. After I saw how the ways of mankind is gradually falling, I realized how we need each other even more. We should not be isolating ourselves; rather, we should serve as each other’s crutches for us to be able to stand firm as a whole.