Why Do People Join Gangs?

Why do people join gangs? I think young children join gangs because rap music influences them. Some children probably grew up in a bad neighborhood where they saw people selling drugs and killing. They said, “When I get older I want to be just like that.” But when you’re young you don’t really know the consequences of being in a gang. The consequences are you either go to jail our end up dead.

“East Atlanta Zone 6 that’s my hood.” Gucci Mane raps about his hood in the “That’s My Hood” song. He has some kids wanting to be from hoods because of the things he says, “First you get the money then you get the power,” this is Gucci Mane influencing young people to sell drugs to get money. According to the Violence Institute Website, “Children may join gangs as a means of protection from rival gangs. Children may view their neighborhood as a solution to the torment and threats from other gangs.” In the book, “Freedom Writers,” real teens tell their stories. The Freedom Writers are fighting over race they aren’t even fighting over colors. They are all in the same class and there are a lot of problems. There were a lot of people killed in the Freedom Writer’s book. It’s so sad because of how many people died and because half of them were innocent.
Well, my brother died from being in a gang because of someone else’s beef and I don’t want to be like that. It was hard losing my grandmother and my brother. But losing a loved one is hard because they’ll never be coming back. As the years go by you start to heal. But you will never forget about them. They’re gone but never forgotten.

Kids join gangs for many reasons. Some of the reasons are the dumb rap music that influences them. You really don’t want to be in a gang because every time the ending is the same you either die or go to jail. Who wants to risk that just over a gang? To me gangs are really stupid and not reasonable. The only time people join gangs are when they want to lose their life.

BIG DEE!! said...
Nov. 14, 2011 at 8:41 am
peolpe that r in gangs just wanna feel tough and cool because they think everyone is scared of them

imhere1234 replied...
Dec. 13, 2011 at 9:28 am

so not they do it so they got power

WhiteBron said...
People join gangs because they have a lack of self security and friends. They do it to feel like their wanted and have true friends that care about them and they do it to feel protected.

petetheman replied...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 9:10 am
wanna fight bro?

jordanwThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
I absolutely agree. It's much more than the influence of a successful rap artist's lyrics. These people are emotionally insecure, and when people are emotionally insecure, they search for a family to tie themselves to for a sense of belonging. To fit in with people who have the same mindset. This is natural; who would want to be around a population of people with interests completely different from their own?

MickeyH said...
i have to agree with LoverOfSong. a lot of kids are under extreme pressures probably from awful influences of the parents, and like you said the neighborhood they live in. Music is an expression of self- no one who's writing a song would imagine anyone taking it as an example to follow. I've written several songs- not recorded of course- but I don't expect my little sister to look at it and say "this is an example for me to follow." So I disagree respectfully with you, Christina, but LoverOfSong... (more »)

Aspiringauhor replied...
I, too, write songs. But most famous artists do not, so therefore, I am afraid I cannot agree with you. Christina, great job on the article. I am so sorry about your brother and grandmother. This type of thing (gangs) should not be happening.

LoverOfSong said...
in my opinion that is not completely true. the music is just a way to espress the pent up anger. they do i t because it is an escape (usually) from the hell of a life. but everyones reasons r dif. dont assume it is a music style. or a group of ppl that is kinda prejudiced.

Aspiringauhor replied...
Good point, but most music artists do not write their own songs, so I do not think that is a valid reason.

Pedro said...
i dont understand...i love Mexicans...

Mikey replied...
Dude what are you talking about? Gucci Mane was not a Mexican...

petetheman replied...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 9:04 am
wanna fight bro

fuckyouasshole replied...
ill suck your nans pussyhole off