Oh What To Do... | Teen Ink

Oh What To Do...

By gus18 BRONZE, Ballwin, Missouri
gus18 BRONZE, Ballwin, Missouri

I park my car in my driveway on a normal Friday afternoon. It was a beautiful day around 70 degrees. I get out of my car and see a baby bunny in my grass. I start to run after it thinking it would run away like any other bunny. But this wasn’t any other bunny. As I got about a foot from it, I noticed that its legs were all shattered hardcore. It also had a large hole in its side, and it just kept whimpering. It was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. My options were to either kill to stop it from suffering or let it live because in my heart I knew I couldn’t kill it. It took about 10 minutes to decide. I just sat and had no clue what I should do. Finally, I knew what I had to do. I grabbed a shovel and swung as hard as I could to kill this poor, innocent baby bunny. It was the best thing for it and I took it out of its misery. Throughout the rest of the day I thought about why I killed this baby bunny. It made me even ponder about animal cruelty, and I even looked it up on the internet. There are many problems with society today in this aspect. How can people kill or torture animals if they did nothing to them? I even thought about if it is really right or wrong to kill an animal if it was injured, crazy, if it had physical defects, etc. Also, it made me speculate the situation of life and death; why is life so short, or what’s the point of living?

There are two different types of cruelty to animals: direct violence and neglect. “The types of direct violence that animals suffer every day at the hands of people include being beaten, mutilated, shot, set on fire or otherwise tortured. The intentional suffering inflicted on these animals can result in severe injury or death” (HSUS 1). Reading about this made me realize how stupid some people have to be to do this to a poor, innocent animal.
“Other animals suffer and die from neglect when they are denied proper food, water or shelter, causing them to slowly starve to death or die from exposure to freezing cold or sweltering hot temperatures. Hoarding animals can also cause suffering on a large scale” (HSUS 1).
Seeing these animals in this manner made me really want to do something about it. Yes, it is that bad. From a Bible verse it states, “For the animal shall not be measured by man. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.” Considering religion, it is ok to kill an animal and eat their flesh. But, I personally disagree. I believe in God, but I do not believe that it is right to kill one of his own creations in earth.
From experts they say that you should “take life as you find it” and that “life is a gift, enjoy it while your on earth.” I believe that life is a chance to grow in love, sensitivity, compassion and understanding. To create yourself as a perfect human being and to reproduce. There really isn’t anything to your life, because you are just one tiny, tiny, tiny step in God’s plan. It’s amazing what you can think about from a small baby bunny.

I really care about the animals around the community, and they should never be hurt in any way. Some people just make me sick, the way they can injure a poor animal.