The Case Behind Racism | Teen Ink

The Case Behind Racism

November 27, 2009
By Summergone SILVER, San Diego, California
Summergone SILVER, San Diego, California
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Racism, supposedly at the tip of defeat, is still prevalent even in the most accepting environments. But as society looks down upon public displays of racism, the racist learn to shove his or her resentment under the carpet until another situation where the behavior can be dubbed as acceptable. And what I am not referring to are the typical degrading jokes often discussed in social situations, popular in any generation or the labels in which each race will jokingly shout at one another. But the so-called civilized countries have masked the discrimination and have announced that the problem is diminishing for the comfort of the naïve activists or the hurt victims.
Although the races have ceased from enslaving one another and regarding specific races as nothing more then property, the situation has the same intensity, but has moved to other areas. In the case in which the racism has stayed still in place, that place will refuse to acknowledge it’s presence in hope that the bystanders see no harm. The public school system, for example, does nothing to integrate the races into one equal society. Instead, it seems to do the very opposite, by encouraging the segregation in ways that are deemed acceptable. From my own experience and the others in which I have heard, public schools impose a great discrimination against the minorities. Yet the minorities are no longer minorities, instead they are the rising races, who are finally creeping up to power. Every school has a distinct pattern, one that has carried on for a significant amount of time; the whites are the superiors who get the best opportunities. There are several factors that come into play, money, race, location, all qualities that the administration has a keen eye on when analyzing the selection. Minorities, the upcoming majority, are clumped into ghettos where they are given a mediocre education in second-rate public schools. But they face criticism when they do not amount to success. Though there has been a recent change in the San Diego County and because of the failing economy and the “No Child Left Behind,” law, this situation will not seem unfamiliar to other places as well. The public schools of the impoverished neighborhoods have been shut down and the children have been forced to wake up at unreasonable hours to sit on a crowded bus to go to a school where they are obviously unwanted. They attend better schools but their education is still remedial. Most of them had learned English as their second language and the teachers foolishly shrug them off, labeling them as stupid for not knowing the correct grammar of the language they have recently learned. Coming into many of the schools late in their K-12 career, they are not given the opportunities to attend the harder classes where they are given a real education. And even those of the minorities who had attended the better school in the first place are not given the chance to attend those classes because at a young age, most of them were not given the chance to do the placement testing. For the Advanced Placement classes, college scouts come into the classes and explain curriculum to the students. Even random advocates who try to encourage people to attend college do not take the effort to visit the normal-level classes. Instead, the most briefing of future opportunities to those who attend the less advanced classes is the information on what trade skills are available, for things such as plumbing and construction. And because of the classes being so separated, the darker races in the lower classes, the lighter ones in the advanced courses, the social groups reflect the students in the classes. Generally, a person will meet the people who they relax with in the classes that they take; the mixing of the races is fairly uncommon. So why is it, that after the Jim Crow laws were outlawed, there has been no real effort for the system to desegregate the classes and races? And I can already hear the defense that these races in which I speak of are the ones who test lower. We follow the statistics, they say. But who is the first to educate these children? Does the public school system put out a real attempt to inform the parents about the placement testing, so that their children can have the chance to make seminar or gate classes? In earlier years, precisely until high school, children are not allowed to surpass what their skill level was decided, even though most kids will take these placement tests when they are very young, usually in third grade. And why is this? What about the kids, who are usually the minorities, who do not take these tests? They are forcing these children to stay uneducated so they will be unable to achieve social, economic, and political success. If the public school system actually wanted to desegregate the races, they would give each student an equal chance and then test them on something more meaningful than patterns. I’ve known several people who have been stranded in these remedial classes who deserve to be in the classes where their talents will be encouraged to flourish. Racism, something that the big dogs of society believe that they hide so well, breeds specific races for failure or success. Anyone, go to a public high school and realize the intensity of this problem. Open your eyes to what is masked.

But of course, all cannot be blamed on the government officials. After all, the United States is supposed to be a democracy and in some ways, it is. And those ways are significant enough that any person could say that the people do have a significant influence in the government’s actions. And the fact that there has not been mass chaos and outrage after the ‘race revolution’ in the sixties shows that the majority of the population is content with the standards of living and the prevalence of racism. People are blinded by the presence of the disease, not realizing where it stands because we no longer see enslaved blacks or discriminatory signs. Racism has moved into darker corners, and oddly enough, one of those corners happens to be video games. The online world, which contains millions of people, has become another kind of society in its own. But in this way, people are more connected; people from country to country can communicate in ways that only a few generations ago it would have seemed impossible. And all of the mixtures of races, languages, and cultures there have been an outstanding discovery made on the online world---what actually makes people racist.
Growing up in the technological generation I did, I became quite accustomed to having my eyes glued to a flashing computer screen. My adolescence consisted of online video games known as MMORPGs that taught me the secret to racism. Now, in these worlds, there was a social hierocracy and instable economies and loads of corruption, just like in real life. In the larger games, there were loads of different races, not just game races, but real-life races as well. The thing is that we could not see each other by what race we actually were, and even when the people would reveal this, no one would care. And on these games, sometimes, the skin colors would be different, but again, no one would care. However, being that the internet is a world-wide concept, there were many different languages that were spoken within the game. In these situations, that was what created racism in the game. In some servers of the popular video game WoW (World of Warcraft), it was the English speakers against the French. On some servers of another video game, Tibia, it was the English speakers against the Portuguese. They had different guilds and clans who fought over nothing.


To many people, it is very silly to see such a pressing subject be demonstrated in such an easy environment. But to some people, this environment isn’t simple because it’s their lives. These words are as real as they get to some people. So when people are racist, it really doesn’t have to do with skin color. Skin color is the exterior of a person, the easiest quality to pinpoint. Instead, it has to do with the different culture, the different language, and the parts of a person that are so hard to understand.

People who were raised in more judgmental environments see people of different colors in a specific way, they were raised to hate them, to see them different from how they act and are. Often, people meet others of a different race and see the ‘human’ part of them. For example, a group of Caucasians hang out with a black person. One of the white guys claims that he’s racist. When asked why he can hang out with that specific black person, he says, “Well, he’s white-washed.” And by white-washed, this guy means that he has the culture that his family holds.

I must emphasize that in order to destroy racism for good, we don’t need to raze different cultures and languages. We need to raise awareness, people are afraid of the unknown, so if we increase understanding and education about history and customs, we decrease racism.